Chapter 6: Oh No

Memories. They swirl in disarray in my brain like a massive tornado and flow through the rest of my body like a waterfall, twirling and moving along the currents. And, making an impact on the next wave. Memories, all of this camp, these people, and this life. That I tried to forget. Both delightful... and painful.

But, there is something else. A feeling of strength and power that I haven't experienced in such a long time travels its way through my body. The emotion is inexplicable. I feel tingles on my skin and hear the sound of my uneven breathing.

I feel a soft fabric beneath my body and the dim brightness of a light that slowly fades the darkness behind my eyelids. The headache has diminished, and when I press my hand over one side of my head it hurts. Definitely, there is a bruise there. I groan.

"What happened?" I ask when I hear footsteps.

"You passed out. Here, take this." Makenna's voice says. She grabs my hands and puts something on my palms, saying to hold it tight. I hold a glass of what I think is water with both of my hands. I drink it and immediately know it is not the clear, tasteless liquid I was expecting. It's actually a medicine, more like a potion, of a dragon's scale and a rare, magical plant that grows in the forest. I don't remember the name of the medicine neither the plant, though.

I open my eyes and blink repeatedly, they take a few seconds to adjust to the light, then look around and figure that I am in the Health Center. The walls are a beige color and the floor is white. A nightstand sits beside the medium-sized beige-and-white bed and a vase filled with distinct flowers is on top of it. Some rooms in the center have TVs, but this one is not one of them. I place the glass on the bedside table. Makenna sits beside me on a rocking chair. She wears the same clothes she did last time I saw her, which was probably long ago.

"How long was I out?" I ask her.

"Not much, two hours." She says and stands up to sit at the opposite end of my bed.

Silence.

"I remember everything now." I confess.

"Everything?" She asked, and I can detect the hidden message behind her words.

"Yes," I say before covering my face with my hands, "and I don't want to."

Out of the blue, Makenna says, "That was stupid."

"What?" I remove my hands from my face, looking at her utterly lost.

"What you did and not telling me at least, I mean, you can never wipe off the past with an eraser, the marks will always remain." She blurts.

"Great, you really cheered me up." I tell her sarcastically, rolling my eyes at her.

"It will be ok." Makenna assures softly. "Remember, it was not your fault. Just let it go, you've gone through a lot."

It's not easy to let something like that go when the blame is eating you up, I thought. But, instead of speaking up my thoughts I looked down at the covers.

"You know, I am actually happy that the old Jade is back. The other one was seriously creeping me out." She says the last part jokingly. Her attempt to cheer me up actually worked, just a tiny bit.

"Yeah. Me too, I think." I laughed.

"Why didn't you tell me about-" she cuts herself before leaning towards me and whispering, "what you did after the war ended, you know, after Chris..." She lets the rest of the sentence hang in the air. As I try to gather my thoughts, still feeling uneasy with all the new, but old, information, the door opened and Noah and Matthew walk in.