Chapter 8: The Last Battle

In the next couple of hours, we finish the lesson. We practice everything we did today until dinner time. However, something strange happens as I am eating the meat with rice on my plate. The funny thing is how many things are still alien to me even after I recovered my blocked memory, most of it anyway.

The air starts spinning above the Senate House, forming a relatively small tornado. The tornado turns black and lighting strikes around it, which hits the Senate House's roof, without making contact with the ground. Then, a figure appears. Its black eyes are cruel and mocking. It's taller than any of the Nigrumspiritus, the man-spirits,that exist. It is the same one I saw five years ago.

"Mytharians, I am Lord Tideos, the ruler of darkness and of everything evil. I stand before you with a desire of revenge. In three days, when the sun is whole, my army and I will attack, and finally gain what is right for us, what was ours from a beginning." He exclaims. All campers stand and prepare for any surprise attack.

Rage bubbles inside me, starting in the pit of my stomach and traveling its way to my mouth like vomit. I don't react, though, but neither swallow it down. I stand in front of Matthew with an invisible shield and a radiant fireball.

"Tideos, you are not allowed on my grounds. I will ask you to go now and leave my people alone." Hephisious shouts from the Pavilion. One of his hands is occupied by an arrow and a bow that is slung over his back. He is the type of wizard who prefers to fight the non-magical way, though he uses magic when he needs to.

"Oh, Hephisious. Look how I tremble with fear." Lord Tideos mocks. "This is my last warning. See you on the battlefield." And then, he vanishes.

"Everyone, head to the arena. Now." Hephisious orders.

...

"Campers, silence, please." Hephisious says over the intense chattering of the anxious campers. The arena was turned into an auditorium for this special meeting. There is a platform that is not entirely surrounded by white bleachers.

A table is situated against the wall, where Hephisious and his two co-directors, Augustus and Aquila, sit.

"The message was really clear. There will be a war in three days, at sunrise. Us against them. We will prepare and fight with all our strength." He proclaims.

"What did Lord Tideos meant by our <last warning>? He warned us before?" A petite girl questions from the crowd. All eyes focus on him, again.

Hephisious sighs, as if he felt defeated, weak. And says, "Many of the campers in Mytharia have come to me and said that they were almost attacked by Nigrumspiritus for the past few months, and that the same kind of threat have been transmitted to them, for us. The administration and I didn't share the news with you since we didn't want to alarm you when we didn't have enough knowledge about it. We've been following them and getting as much information as possible. We've also looked for help, but no one wants to join us. To be honest, I knew that he was going to try to fight us again."

"So... you planned to keep us in the dark and let the enemy destroy us without we being prepared?" Accuses another.

"Of course not, this camp and the people within it are as important to me as they are to you. We would actually tell you eventually, but..." Hephisious sighs again and doesn't finish the sentence. "We hoped for the best." Finishes the co-director Augustus for his colleague.

Had I seen my camp director so down before? So wretched? My brains hunts for a memory, but I can't find one.

"We are not prepared. How will we fight them?" Someone asks. The murmurs and whisperings arise.

"I will get as many resources and people from the town as I can. I strongly believe that you are ready. I know that everyone will fight as best as they can. I trust and believe in you, but I need you to expect the same from me." Hephisious states, catching the attention of everyone in the area. The camp director was always good with words. His words would always have an effect on you, and, when it is what he wants, persuading you to think the same.

Still, many people looked edgy.

"Campers, this can be our last fight. We are stronger than we think and together can be invincible. But we need to have faith. We will show them what we are made of. We will show them that nobody can come and threaten us and we'll be okay with it. It is time to defend what's ours, what our gods have created. To defend our home. This place is important for all of us, here is where we made the best memories and made lots of friends." I sigh. "I know that many of you still remember the last battle we went through, many great people left us and some of us still feel sad, and probably guilty, about it. Guardians lost sorcerers and sorcerers lost guardians, families lost sisters and brothers, and friends lost each other. They died, they passed away even if we try to forget it. But, their sacrifice will not be in vain. If we need to fight again, we will. But we will not let them win. We cannot and will not back down." Everyone is silent, shocked at my sudden outburst of words, I even surprised myself.

Someone claps.

Another, and soon, the whole room is clapping.

My friends stand up and start chanting "Mytharia," then, everyone joins, including me.

Author's Note:

Sorry, I titled this page Chapter 9; It is actually Chapter 8. The next and final chapter will be posted shortly. Anyway... what did you think of this chapter? How will the battle turn out? What happened five years ago that affected Jade so much?