Chapter 11

Shirin woke up from her beauty sleep a little late as it was her day off unlike usual week days.

After freshening up, she walked to the kitchen but could already smell the aroma of freshly prepared tea.

"Good morning" smiled Sakshi as she poured the concoction into two cups.
Shirin greeted back and settled on the small dining table for four and stifled a yawn "why did you prepare? I was late because it's a holiday and so a lazy day for me".

"It's okay..I didn't want to wake you up" Sakshi brought the tea and bread sandwiches to the balcony and kept on the mini table "I didn't want to feel useless...as it is, I'm too embarrassed to simply lie around doing nothing".

Shirin frowned "did that jerk Aman say anything to you?" Sakshi forced a smile "hey no! He never said anything...it's just my thought".

Shirin rolled her eyes "sometimes his big fat mouth gets ahead of him... otherwise he's a sweetheart" she pointed downwards "speak of the devil".

Sakshi peeped at the direction she pointed and saw Aman walking with the cat snuggled safely in his arms.

"He's taking his cat for a walk" Shirin explained and laughed at Sakshi's amused expression "I know! Even I had that face when I saw him initially".

Sakshi didn't reply and stared at the person of interest. Ever since she had rushed out of the hospital, she hadn't exactly spoken to him and came straight to Shirin's apartment.

She expected him to come behind her and lash out but he hadn't. She expected a phone call at the least but never got any.  It appeared he was too angry to even look at her.

Two days passed without any interaction between either of them as she was too embarrassed to even apologize. Even though it was her choice, she felt she owed him an explanation. But he never bothered to talk to her at all; his indifference puzzled her.

Shirin must have noticed that too "something happened between the two of you?"she asked, slowly sipping the tea "he never came by like he usually does...and when I met him downstairs, he didn't even ask about you..."

Sakshi finished her breakfast and looked at her, not wanting to hide any further as Shirin had proved to be nothing but sweet so far.

She explained what had conspired at the hospital and Shirin raised her eyebrows in wonder "are you serious?"she shrugged "I mean...I understand it's your decision but have you thought about the future? You don't even know who..." she stopped midsentence "you don't remember at all..."

Sakshi nodded "I don't know what happened back there...seeing all the ladies happily embracing their motherhood made me crazily guilty. I couldn't bear the thought of destroying such a sweet thing. What was it's fault in all of this? I just couldn't.."

Shirin patted her arm in support "I understand your dilemma..but there are lots of things you need to sort out"  she gave a wary smile "it's not easy being..single mother..and unmarried".

Sakshi felt her pulse quicken "I've thought of it too these past days...once I join the hospital, I'll have steady job and it'll be fine...I'll work it out".

Shirin felt it was useless to argue with her now; Sakshi sounded so confident but the poor girl didn't know the consequences or the hardships she was going to encounter.

"Okay...if you've already made the decision" Shirin said with a small smile.

Sakshi looked out of the balcony and spotted Aman making his way back "what do you think?"she asked her new friend "should I talk to him and apologize?"

"Of course you should" Shirin advised "his pride is wounded and he's probably hurt that you ran away unannounced. The least you can do is explain".

Sakshi nodded in agreement but couldn't quite bring herself to meet him. What if he's too angry and refused to talk? He was the only person who genuinely cared for her and she had bridged an unsafe distance.