Chapter 12

She had seen her father in anger a thousand times but the rage and fury in his voice was unrecognizable to her.

Piyush however didn't look affected by the outburst but rather seemed pleased with himself now that her father was present. This couldn't be a better opportunity to demean her.

After seeing her in the hospital and learning the truth, he could hardly believe it. How could Sakshi have been pregnant?

When he saw the name of the spouse in the register, he wasted no time in finding out more.

And then the blow hit hard when he learnt that Aman Shrivastav was none other than her dead fiancee Amit's twin brother who was a good for nothing painter.

She had gone ahead and started an affair with that loser even when he had clearly given her a hint that he was still interested in her. Why couldn't she see him even now?

His pride was crushed and he was a man ready to avenge her rejection. This was the perfect occasion.

Seeing her father only kindled his hopes and he politely greeted the old man  "I'm glad you're here uncle...I'm sure you're oblivious to what's been going on?"

"You were pretty much louder Piyush" Ranjit said in an authoritative voice "I'm sure even the patients in their ward must have heard. Do you need a loudspeaker to announce it to the whole world?"

There was a snort from Yuvika which Piyush ignored and turned to the older man "I didn't mean to be loud.. but it is the truth. You have no idea what your daughter did behind your back..she shamed you".

Ranjit took a step further until he faced Piyush and stared at him with fire in his eyes "she's my daughter! My pride and always will be. Not even your third class accusations can change that fact!"he spat angrily "I know what happened and I'm aware that she was a victim of a cruel situation. She would never do anything that would jeopardize our relationship. So stop cussing her and leave her alone!"

Piyush felt like he was slapped on the face but Ranjit wasn't done and looked at the other few staffs who were watching them "this is a hospital and you are all professionals. Instead of doing your job and handling such cheap gossip in a mature way, you all acted like some market vendors. Even they would have more dignity than you".

They could only hang their head down at the stinging insult. Sakshi was tongue tied and could only gape at her father who had defended her by shutting everyone down. Was this a dream? The man who had hit her, called her names and even shunned her was now protecting her honour.

"Sakshi? Let's go" Ranjit called her softly "you resign from this disgusting workplace at this instant..I'll be waiting for you outside".

◇◇◇◇◇

No words were spoken as he drove the car. Sakshi didn't have the heart to refuse when he called her home.

Even though she was glad he had raised his voice against the maniac, she was not ready to trust him yet. The words he had spoken to her out of anger was still ringing in her ears.

They reached the apartment parking lot and he stopped the car. He turned to her and she realized his expression was soft "you go upstairs...I'll be right back".

She simply nodded and took the elevator to reach her house.

The door was locked and she rang the bell after quickly texting Aman. I'm at home. Please tell Shirin. Will let you in  the details later. I'm fine. The message was undelivered and she realized he must have switched off during work.

Soumya opened the door and gaped at her in shock "Sakshi?"she gasped and before Sakshi could speak, hugged her tight "oh thank God! Are you okay beta?"