Chapter 3

"You know, I'm going to cut all that hair and make you bald" Devaki announced, holding her son's hair in a fist "once you're asleep".

Aman pulled his hair off her hand "ouch! That hurts maa".

"He's right maa...leave his hair" Amrita came inside the room, holding a plate full of Lays chips in her hand "you never know. There could be a lot of lice".

Aman snatched the chips from her and gobbled some "why're you eating junk food?it's not good for you".

She frowned "I'm only craving spicy food and snacks...I can't help it". He shook his head "no..you should eat healthy food..give this to Rishab. He's a junk anyway".

Everyone laughed except Amrita who smacked his head "next time you talk about him like that..."

Aman stopped his laughter just in time "I was kidding okay?"

"Yeah...I know how funny you sounded" she glared at him. Even when they were kids, it was with him she picked most of the fights. Amit, being a diplomat usually stayed out of their fights.

"I still don't understand how baba managed to find a clone exactly like Rishab" Aman said, faking a serious tone "he even stutters like our father".

Amit looked away so his sister won't see him laughing. Amrita snatched the chips from her brother's hand and hit his wrists, spilling the chips on the floor.

"Will you both stop it?" Devaki intervened "you're behaving like you're still in secondary school.. shameless kids!"

There was a happy environment in the Shrivastav household ever since Aman had arrived with his brother.

Devaki's joy knew no bounds as she hugged her son teary eyed. After seeing her, he temporarily forgot his bitterness and resentment and actually enjoyed the moment.

Amrita though silent initially welcomed him with open arms and within no time the siblings were bantering with each other about everything and anything.

Everyone were happy except for his father who neither showed any consideration that his son was home after a long time nor he gave an inclination that he was interested. He went on like his usual routine as if nothing new had happened. Aman ignored him just like he had.

"You're staying till the wedding right?" Devaki asked, after his sister had left the room as her phone rang.

Aman stared at Amit who gave a guilty look and shifted uncomfortably "I'm here for a week maa" he said in a low voice.

"Oh" she forced a smile but he could sense her disappointment as she tried to hide her tears "it's okay...there's still six days left".

He held her hand and kissed it, his heart forming a lump of grief "I wish I could stay but...baba..."

"I'll convince him" she said immediately "Amit will try to talk to him..don't worry". Amit didn't answer but simply nodded.

"Maa?" Amrita came in once again looking frustrated "maa? When are the caterers coming?"she groaned.

"Around six" Devaki replied and shook her shoulders "don't fret over small things....worrying is not good for you at this time".

"I'm fine..." Amrita sat next to Aman "although Rishab didn't want me to host the dinner".

"Yeah...that sounds just like our dear brother in law" Aman began "tell me..does he still wear Dixcy underwear?"

Behind him, Amit who was busy browsing on the phone let out a snicker which he quickly covered it with a fake cough. Devaki glared at her son and waited for Amrita to react. She simply stared at him for a while and he was sure she was going to do something nasty but she gave a small grin "actually he doesn't" she shrugged "he's changed a lot".