Chapter 17

As Sakshi entered the living room after having come back meeting Aman, she couldn't help but overhear her aunt and her father in an argument.

"What in the world is wrong with you?" Roopa asked in a shocked tone "you want to give your daughter to her dead fiancee's brother?"

"They love Sakshi as their own jeeji" Ranjit said "Shekhar came to me this morning about the proposal. He was insistent I think about it. Our daughter will be happy there since we already know them".

"What does this boy do?" Roopa asked in a stern tone "is he an engineer too?"

"Yes" Ranjit lied, much to Sakshi's amazement "he works for a company in Pune. He earns well".

"I'm not sure Ranjit" Roopa voiced her doubt "I still feel you should think about the guy I told you last time. They're very traditional and religious".

"I've made my decision" Ranjit said in a strict voice, which might have intimidated his sister as well "there's no changing it".

"Since you've already made the decision..." Roopa's voice faltered "people are going to talk, you know that. There will be lot of questions".

"I'll handle them" he replied firmly as if the matter was settled as she sensed his polite dismissal and slowly sauntered out of the room.

"Sakshi?" Soumya nudged her "what's wrong? Are you okay?"

Sakshi who was listening to the conversation suddenly  blinked "I'm fine mama" she stammered in fear "what was papa discussing with badi buaa? Is he serious?"

Soumya looked concerned "he told me about your alliance with Amit's brother" she said in a dull tone "I was surprised at first but it felt right under the circumstances".

"No it isn't!" Sakshi said "I had told papa I'll think about it...how could he plan without asking me?"

Soumya led her to the couch and sat next to her "Shekhar bhai saab was here with Devaki...your father called them to discuss about the wedding. They have accepted and are looking forward to it".

Sakshi bit her lip in frustration "I can't marry Aman" she whispered "he's Amit's brother...I can't even think of him as my..." she shook her head "please do something mama".

Soumya placed a hand over her shoulder "it's your father's decision but I support it" she explained slowly "whatever he's doing, it's only for your well being".

"Yes but I didn't want this mama" Sakshi cried "it's been few months since Amit's death" her heart ached when she said his name "I can't just forget everything and move on like he didn't matter to me".

"This isn't a normal situation for us beta" Soumya stated "you're pregnant and single...you don't even want to give up the child. Even though we are with you, it's not as easy as it seems to be".

Sakshi rubbed her aching forehead, digesting her mother's words "I can't get rid of the baby...please don't make me" she hugged her mother.

"Then you must understand your parents' dilemma. Do you think we would simply watch you go through the humiliation alone?" Soumya asked in a painful tone "put yourself in our shoes for once and think about it".

Sakshi blinked back tears, understanding the naked truth behind her mother's words.

She had to tell Aman that she was helpless. But he had clearly stated he was seeing Deepa.

She decided to call him and explain everything before it was too late.

◇◇◇◇◇

Aman opened the door of his brother's room and entered slowly. The room was eerily quiet and untouched, he observed in poignancy.