That Old Maple Tree [Kaedehara Kazuha]

[Name], a person who always puts others before themselves. A person so kind that they were punished for someone else's crimes. Sometimes I wonder what had happened the day I left. The day I realized that...I loved you.

The two of us met a long time ago. They were a regular citizen of Inazuma who bore a vision. Every day, you could see them running around the city doing every task given to them. I often found them resting on an old maple tree that was isolated from people. It was a surprise for them when I had spoken to them for the first time.
Their voice was soothing. It was no wonder why everyone in the city enjoyed speaking to them. They didn't have much to tell aside from a few memories. Soon enough, I found myself talking to them in that maple tree at the end of my travels.

"I am alive for a reason. I will not use my life to become a burden to Inazuma." It baffled me that they thought of life that way. "What made you see life in such a light?" I asked them. "Everything has its purpose doesn't it? A burden is somebody who has no purpose. If my purpose is to become Inazuma's helper, then so be it. It is only my way of thinking. Every person has their own perspectives of life and so do I." They told me with a smile.

Sure enough, we became friends. Whenever they were feeling stuck or troubled, I would be there to help them. We would always wander around together, I noticed some changes about them. Somehow, I felt that I have restored their will to live in this world. As we traveled together, I began to notice their disdain for things such as Mora or any material that wasn't given to them as payment for work. They found it uncomfortable to take the items. Later on, I would understand why.

We met another friend on our travels. Surprisingly, he and [Name] would get along, often bickering over some things. A passerby would think they were enemies but that was how they spoke to each other. Once Autumn comes around, we would gather in the old maple tree and talk over some tea prepared by [Name]. If only I could return to those times once more.

Everything comes to an end eventually, the three of us went our separate ways. [Name] wrote letters to the two of us talking about their life back in Narukami Island. Of course, we would never forget our Autumn tradition. But, the tradition would come to a halt after the Vision Hunt Decree had been placed. For that reason, we had gone into hiding. Even in Autumn, I cannot see my dearest friends.
Rumors had been spreading about somebody dared to have a "duel before the throne", and this person was our dearest friend. After a very long while, [Name] and I had met once more. This time, it was to reach our friend.

But alas, we couldn't make it. Once we arrived, he was gone. The guards at Tenshukaku would eventually reach us so, [Name] had to distract them. "Go! Leave! I'll take care of this. Don't worry about me. Take him to a safe place." And with that, I left. I left them behind to fend for themselves. I hoped that they managed to have caught up with me. Once I had been in a safe place, my mind was shouting, telling me to move. To come get them.

Months passed after that incident. I worked for the Resistance. I still have not heard from [Name]. They were not exempted from the Decree and now, they were a wanted criminal, hiding somewhere. I hoped and hoped for a sign. A sign that my friend was still there somewhere and that I can somehow find them.

My hopes were granted. I found them, resting in the maple tree. They were in terrible condition and yet they brushed it aside as if it was nothing. It did not matter. [Name] was the only person I had. I couldn't help but pull them into an embrace. "I will be alright, you should leave Inazuma." They told me. "I cannot leave without you...it isn't safe for you too." I replied. It was as if [Name] predicted it, they told me this. "Inazuma is not safe. It will be hard for you to leave but, I will make sure you'll be able to get out. You don't need to worry about me. I'll find a way to be with you." They urged me to go.

And I did.

Rumors spread like wildfire in Inazuma. Somebody had been executed for their crimes. The list of accused crimes had been so long that nobody felt pity for the criminal. But, that was untrue. Everybody who witnessed their execution were hoping for someone, anyone to break in and take that person. They could not bear to watch as the execution commenced.

The person did not cry or scream but instead...they looked satisfied.

Around the same time, I received a letter from [Name]. Words could not describe the feeling of relief that washed over me.

"To my dearest Kazuha.

It's been a while hasn't it? I 've heard you had become part of the Crux fleet now. I'm glad that you were able to safely leave Inazuma. I'm doing well. I managed to help my family turn over an new leaf. I have never mentioned this to you but, I am from a family of criminals. Their crimes were more than just petty theft. For years and years, I have atoned for their sins and becoming the city's errand person. I wanted to prove that I had a purpose to everyone. I had to do all that work just so I could be treated as a human. I wouldn't dare to take anything that isn't mine. Even if it's treasure that nobody owned.

Then, I met you two. Life had it's meaning once more. I didn't have to wake up to another meaningless day. I had a reason to become an actual part of society. Traveling with you had given me a purpose. A purpose that was true to myself. The more I spent my time with you, the more I began to learn about feelings I didn't know about.

For the first time, I could say I was in love. I always looked forward to Autumn. It had become my favorite time of the year because I get to spend it with you two. I often had to spend it by myself but, it doesn't matter. The cat is with me, so it's not so bad. Although, the cat prefers resting with it's owner. Most importantly, thank you for being apart of my life. Thank you for giving me a reason to wake up in the morning. And thank you for being my first love.

When Autumn returns once more in a peaceful Inazuma, you can find me in the old maple tree.

[Name]"

Sakura Blooms...oh how I wished to return. To find [Name] and travel the world together.

My dreams had been shattered after I returned home. The Resistance had told me that [Name] had been executed for their crimes. They knew that [Name] was innocent. I knew they were innocent. Everyone in Inazuma knows they were innocent. And yet, nobody dared to stop the execution. So, this was what they meant by getting their family ahead in life.

But why did they have to do it. Again, I was too late.

Once all the fighting was over, I had returned to that old maple tree. And sure enough, they were there. A headstone.

The winds blew and I am certain I heard their voice one last time. "You made it..." I wonder...what were you thinking about that day? They say you look satisfied but, were you truly okay with it?

If only I had told you these words before. Maybe you would've been here beside me.

From the bottom of my heart,

I love you, [Name].
_______________________________
I am an angst specialist, I would say by myself. I may hate reading angst but writing them is so fun, so here we are. Anyways, enjoy! There's much more in the future of course, I'll try my best to update frequently.