Is Self-preservation More Important Than Selflessness?

A while back, I was driving down the road and I saw this knuckle-dragger harassing a women at a major intersection in broad day light. Within 10 m was 15 or more vehicles full of 'bystanders' - stopped, stationary at the lights. I was going through a green but I slowed right down and in those few moments what I saw suggested that this women was not in a good space - pinned against a wall with this neanderthal screaming in her face.

Now I am not a big guy, and I am certainly not a tough guy. But I am not the type to turn a blind eye to something that is clearly very wrong. Or am I?

As I got past the lights, I pulled over and it took me at least five minutes to muster the courage to go back. Why did it take so long? It shouldn't have. But I kept thinking of my wife and kids and the number of good Samaritans that come off second best in such circumstances. What if he had a knife and wanted to prove to this girl that he was not scared of anyone else and that she should be a lot scared of him.

I swung the car around and raced back to the intersection - still no-one had intervened. Fortunately, I arrived to see the woman dash across the road toward a waiting car parked haphazardly half on the verge and half on the road. Clearly this was a friend she must have managed to call before being accosted by this yobbo. As she struggled to get in the vehicle he was forcefully closing the door on her. She succeeded in her plight and they sped off, with him in foot-pursuit launching a tirade of abuse. What a pathetic embarrassment to all who carry that 'y' chromosome.

Providing she never sees him again she has most likely gotten away with just post-traumatic stress and an emergent case of agoraphobia. Me, on the other hand: I was left wondering how much worse it could have been for her and how I should not have hesitated.

A tough question to answer: is the propensity to preserve one's self so much more important than the safety of others. Maybe, I could have at least talked him down from the safety of my vehicle.

I recall a few years back I stopped on the side of the road to discipline a teenager for throwing bottles at cars, during a period where missiles hurled at cars was causing serious injuries and regularly making headlines at 6pm. Within what seemed like only minutes I was on the mobile to the police staring the kid down as he stood in front of me wielding a cricket bat. On that occasion, I was the victim and not one of the 100 passer-bys stopped to offer assistance.

At this point in my life I am still unsure whether I should put myself at risk to assist those in need; or should I simply lower my brow and shuffle past everyday conflicts. I faced this dilemma again today. About 30 km shy of Kununurra, on the way to the airport with plenty of time up my sleeve, I passed by a man clearly stranded on the side of the road. My first thought was that he looked a little rough and just a little too menacing for my liking. So I kept driving, safe in the knowledge that some other Good Samaritan would render him assistance. And then I stopped, swung the car around and went to his aid. He had one flat tyre on the vehicle and his spare was also knackered. Oddly, he immediately became insistent that he had cash and could buy one of my spares, pointing out that I had three and did not need them all. He neglected to accept that I was driving a hire car and that I was not at liberty to sell Thrifty's vehicle spares on the side of the highway to a complete stranger. Whatever the case, and more oddly still, he had a Nissan with rim specifications that were clearly not the same as my Toyota. He looked well and truly bush-savvy enough to know this, but still he persisted. There was very little I could do for him other than to offer to take him into town. He refused, which was very curious given town was only 15 minutes away. In the end, I agreed to call a mechanic when I got to town and request that they, on good faith that he would still be there, drive out to him with a replacement tyre. I made the call - the mechanic did not answer. I even called the Police to see if they would help, but they were not able to. It was a very odd stand-off of soughts. Is he still on the side of the road? I doubt it. Had I got out of the car to help him would I now be on the side of the road - lifeless, in a ditch, leaving my kids without a father and my wife without a husband? Neither you nor I will ever know.