19

It was a few months ago before the incident happened.

Casey innocently entered the premises of the diner where Martin works as a part-time helper. She was wearing a school uniform, she was studying culinary arts, same as what Martin was aspiring to study as well. The only difference is Martin has decided to take HRM to focus on working for hotel management as what his parents wants him to do.

Knowing that Martin works their as a part-time employee, Casey founds out that there was an opening for a part-time helper. It was not to her parent's knowledge that she'll apply for a job that day. In fact, Casey is quite a rebel herself and she wants to have independency. The black sheep of the family as what most people would call her.

"Good morning!" Casey beamed a smile to Martin as he was busy wiping the tables the previous customers has vacated recently. "Nakita ko yung post na may opening daw dito?"

Martin saw her and he smiled as well. "Ah, oo ako nag-post nun sa bulletin board sa campus. I'm glad it got your attention. May balak ka bang mag-apply o may ire-refer ka?"

Lumapit si Casey kay Martin at pinanuod niya ito sa pagliligpit ng mesa. "I'm interested. Gusto kong mag-apply."

Tumango si Martin. "Sasabihan ko yung boss ko. Maupo ka muna, hintayin mo ako rito."

Martin pointed an empty table by the corner. For him, it was the best spot to sit, lalo na at nasa tabi ito ng bintana at makikita mo ang view sa labas. He usually recommends it to newcomers pati na rin sa mga kaklase niyang nagagawi rito.

And knowing that a beautiful college student comes in to apply for a part-time job with him made his day much better. The days of working with older staff that he can't fully vibe with has been over. Tapos na ang mga araw na palagi na lang siyang nakatangla sa breakroom kapag wala na siyang gagawin.

Martin saw Casey as a prospective friend rather than a colleague. He thought he have seen her somewhere in the campus, if she founds the poster sa bulletin board kung saan siya nagpaskil nito noong nakaraang linggo, she must not be the typical college student that he usually see dining in here.

"Sure," Casey smiled as she followed his advise.

Nakangiting bumalik si Martin sa kusina. Naghugas siya ng kamay at nagtuyo nito bago siya pumasok sa office ng boss nila. As he entered the door, naabutan niyang nakatingin sa labas ng bintana ang boss nila habang may kausap sa telepono.

Landline phone calls, calls that Martin assumed to receive only professional conversations. It was one of the things he does before but not for now.

Martin's boss noticed him when he entered the door. Alam nito na oras na hindi kumatok sa pintuan si Martin, he must have something really important to tell him to even bother knocking.

Ngunit sa sitwasyon ngayon, Martin waited for his boss to finish talking to someone who's on the phone as well. He know as well it was some serious business matter that he can't bother to disturb. Respect begets respect as what they both know from each other.

"One moment," Martin heard his boss saying before covering the mouthpiece of the landline phone to give him attention. "Ano 'yon?"

Ngumiti si Martin. "May applicant po tayo, boss."

His boss' eyes widened due to surprise. Dahan-dahan siyang tumango. "I'll get back on you, pakisabi sa bago nating aplikante na pumunta rito. I'll just finish this important call."

"Duly noted, boss!" Martin beamed a smile before leaving the room.

Nang umalis si Martin sa office ng boss niya, he immediately went outside and caught Casey looking outside of the window, probably admiring the view.