Introduction

• I N T R O D U C T I O N •

"No. There is no barrow on Weathertop, nor on any of these hills," answered Strider. "The Men of the West did not live here; though in their latter days they defended the hills for a while against the evil that came out of Angmar. This path was made to serve the forts along the walls.

But long before, in the first days of the North Kingdom, they built a great watch-tower on Weathertop, Amon Sul they called it. It was burned and broken, and nothing remains of it now but a tumbled ring, like a rough crown on the old hill's head.

Yet once it was tall and fair..."

• The Lord of the Rings,
A Knife in the Dark

• S U M M A R Y •

The line of Fëanor ended when Sauron, in his wrath, killed Lord Celebrimbor of Eregion and impaled his lifeless body on a spear. His corpse became Sauron's battle standard in his war with the elves.

Except that line didn't end.

The elven loremasters and wise men of Middle Earth knew otherwise. For long years, records of the half-elven descendants of Caranthir and Haleth were kept in Rivendell and Annûminas. They were an open secret, wearing the colors and symbols of Fëanor but seldom using his name to distance themselves from the doom of his House.

And so as the Second Age ended and the Third Age moved on, the line continued, until the last remaining children of the House of Fëanor, twins Maedeth and Rínior, found themselves in positions of power in the crumbling Numenorean kingdom of Arthedain as it fought for its life against the shadow of Angmar.

But even thousands of years after Mandos spoke the Doom of the Noldor, still it haunts the footsteps of the House of Fëanor. And with the inevitable fall of Arnor, perhaps the Doom would finally come to fulfillment:

"The Dispossessed shall they be forever."

• A B O U T •

This story is a standalone prequel to my main, ongoing third into fourth-age fanfic novels beginning with The Other Ranger (2012). It is set mostly in the final years of the Fall of Arthedain, the last kingdom of Arnor, and the establishment of the Dúnedain rangers of the north.

While heavily inspired by the Silmarillion, mainly the storyline of the House of Fëanor, I will do my absolute best to make it understandable to all audiences familiar only with the main LotR trilogy.

For those less obsessed with Tolkien lore, this story will depict the eventual founding of what two thousand years later becomes Aragorn's Dúnedain rangers.

This story is currently rated PG-16. That would be somewhere between a "T" rating on FFN and an "M" rating. There is a possibility that I will bump the story to a "Mature" rating as we go along. This change would be due to violence, not to sex.