25

The bells rang out from the church steeples. We all stood in the pews, praying for his soul. All from the motorcycle club "Dracula" - including me - were wearing black jackets, leather pants and boots specific to our club. The habitual black armbands weren't missing from all the arms and those were engraved with Cliff's name. Thomas held my hand throughout the all time when the priest was talking. The last moments of his life were running in front of my eyes. The last two days I cried almost continuously. I never thought I'd suffer so much for a person. He was the brother I never had. Why him? I had to be in his place.

        At the end of the service I, Joe, Oliver, Lexy, Bryan, Nick, Michael and Amy got up and took the coffin on our shoulders. None of us have ever thought we'd get here: to lead our friend on his last road. We left the coffin in the funeral car, and we've climbed the motorcycles. We went to the cemetery. Our engines were screaming in his memory. A lot of reporters crowded to shoot us, and to take pictures and interviews. All America found out overnight sudden death of a young man of 25 years, a biker named Clifford Richards.
In front of the cemetery was an other crowd of reporters. Two women were talking on a bench.

      "Speed ​​kills them all." "These young  people..." "From what I saw, there was a comely. Alcohol is to blame and irresponsibility. Right now I see that is his funeral." I turned and tried to speak as calmly as I could. "Please, stop talking about something you do not know. He was just a victim of recklessness. I was with him and he didn't have speed, had not drunk alcohol, everything was in order." "Sorry ..." "That's the problem with the people: we judge by appearances. Yes, it's true that many things have happened in these cases, but not Cliff. He ..."

      I heard the car horn which the coffin was in. I walked to the right of the tomb where he was laid on a table. The lid has been opened for the last time. We decided to say a few words about each of our friend. Joe started first, followed by Amy, Lexy, Oliver, Thomas and all others. Finally I followed myself:

     "I'm sorry we had to meet in a tragic circumstance so... Cliff was one of my best friends. I loved him and I will always do. I do not know where he is now, but it was sure where he has been. He is now alone on the street of dreams. I remember what he told me when I had the accident a year ago: 'Here I go again on my own, on the only road I've ever known. Like a drifter I was born to walk alone. ' He told me that if I leave he would be alone. He said to tell everyone that he loved you all and that he was sorry ... then ... "

     I could not believe it. He was right in front of me. Cliff seemed to be alive and well. But he was in the coffin ... He approached me and said:

    "Woke up to the sound of pouring rain. The wind would whisper and I'd think of you and all the tears you cried – they called my name and when you needed me I came through. Paint a picture of the days gone by when love went blind and you would make me see I'd stare a lifetime into your eyes. So that I knew that you were there for me, time after time you were there for me. Remember yesterday walking hand in hand. Love letters in the sands. I remember you. And through the sleepless nights, through every endless day I wanna hear you say, 'I remember you.'. We spent the summer with the top rolled down wished ever after would be like this. You said I love you babe, without a sound.I said I'd give my life for just one kiss I'd live for your smile and die for your kiss. We've had our share of hard times but that's the price we paid and through it all we kept the promise that we made. I swear you'll never be lonely. Woke up to the sound of pouring rain washed away a dream of you but nothing else could ever take you away because you'll always be my dream come true.Oh my darling, I love you!"

      I was speechless for a few moments. "Cliff, please, do not go!" Thomas caught me when I tripped over a rock. He put my head tightly on his chest and I continued to cry. All of us wanted to let something to Cliff, so that we went near the coffin to say goodbye properly. We got it right. I got his cold and inert hand and leaned down to kiss him.

     "I will miss you, brother! I love you! Farewell, comrade! Hold this. And yes, I remember."

      I put a picture of us, with a message written on the back. I watched my friend get last time and closed the coffin lid.