22

I got out of bed and I put a pair of jeans and a shirt. I put on my boots and jacket and took my helmet hung on the hallway. I left the house and walked along the boulevards of Las Vegas. I decided to see the sun rise on some of the hills around. I stopped the motorcycle and sat on a bench. I took my phone and I called him.

     No answer. I tried a few times before someone answered. "Erin ?! For God's sake, where are you?" Cameron picked up. "Where's Thomas?" "He is sleeping! Why did you do this?" "I just left home for..." "I honestly don't care why you did this. I'm interested in just the simple fact that, because of you, we were about to lose him." "What are you talking about?" "Thomas wanted to commit suicide. He's in the hospital now ... he is stable but ..." I felt my anger running in my whole body. Was he out of his mind? "Can we talk?" Thomas low voice questioned. "Thomas, here ..."

      I heard him saying something to Cameron. "Erin? Where are you?" His voice was just like last night, in the dream. It was as low and frail as a porcelain doll. I heard him very quietly: "Cameron, leave me alone, please!" "Are you crazy ?! Why would you kill yourself? Thomas ..." I exploded. "I had not even thaugh. Was one of your friends ... They did this. They did this because I burned that stupid book." "What? I can not believe ..." "I do! They've done enough things to you and they're forcing you to destroy yourself. Now they came after me. Please, Erin, end this up before it will not reach the ugliest things." "Why you do not let me to do what I feel?" "Because I love you and I do not want to lose you. Not you. Come back, please!" "I can barely turn later. I must tell Joe. Sorry! You know I love you!" "I'm not so sure about that ..." "Thomas ..."

      He ended the call. I took it easy from the ear and I felt my eyes fill with tears. I love him. He was everything to me. I tried to gather and went back to Joe's house.
I went in and I saw Joe sitting on the couch with Cliff and two cups of coffee in their hands. I sat between the two of them and tried to master my weeping. Cliff put his arms around me and sat my head on his chest.

     "What happened?" "I'll go home. Thomas is in the hospital and ..."Sure, it's fine. You must be next to him." "I'll come with you! I do not want anything to happen to you." "Cliff ... you don't need to..." "Come on! Get your things and put us on the road." "Thanks! You know that you do not need to come with me." "Sister, please! Of course I'll come with you. But first, I want you to wear this."

    He rummaged through his pockets and took out a neckless. He put it around my neck and then he smiled. Its slick was a guitar pack made of metal and was inscribed.

     "What's on it? I can not see." ""Do not go alone through the world, take your crazy friends with you." And on the back it says "Cliff"". It is just like mine but here writes Erin. Look!" He said showing me his necklace. "Cliff, it's great! Thanks!" "I would love you to wear it. Do this because you know I love you and we will never know when life will let us apart." "Of course I'll wear it. I love you. You're my brother from another mother."

      I hugged him as I did before. I did not want to let him go. Something told me that will not be the same. Finally, I retired. I smiled and kissed him on the cheek. I went back to my and girls' room to pack my things. Lexy and Amy sat on my bed. They looked at me and smiled.

     "Where are you going?" Lexy asked me. "Home. Thomas is in the hospital and I must return." Both were raised as an impulse and they embraced me. I missed late nights when I, Lexy, Amy and Diana look at romantic comedies or horror movies.

     "He'll be good! Are you going alone?" "No. Cliff comes with me." "Oh, for the sake of it! He's so in love with you ..." "Really ?! I thought ..." Yes. Take care of him!" "I will. See you when you will return." "We also go down."

     We left the room and we joined the boys who were waiting on the porch. We all hugged each other and Bryan wanted to capture the moment. We did some ... hundreds of photos then I and Cliff headed out of town. We went about two hundred kilometers up when he beckoned me to stop at a gas station. I put the pump in the tank and I saw Cliff walking toward me.

      "I missed all this: long journeys, the engine, you." "Me too. Even if I am in a relationship with Thomas now that does not mean you do not exist for me. Like I said, you are my brother."

      He came closer to me and kissed me. He has not done this only when he was drunk, never when he was awake. To my surprise, I let him to kiss me. I knew very well that he wanted to do it for a really long time. I was sorry for him. He helped me with so many things, at least I can offer to him this.