Special Chapter

CYRUS

10 PM. I was still at work because I need to finish a financial report that is due to be submitted tomorrow morning. I have been given a huge project these past few months and now that it is done, the higher ups are asking for the financial report. It's tiring, yes. But this is for my family. For my wife and for my kids with... weird cravings everyday.

I thought it was just because Aurelia was pregnant then but as we witnessed Elyse and Devon grew up right before our very eyes, we also witnessed how weird their taste buds are.

"Daddy, bring ice cream and chicken for me tonight please!"

"Daddy I want a banana with mayonnaise!"

"Daddy, I want hotdogs and peanut butter!"

"Daddy, I want a vegetable flavored cake!"

And so much more. There are times when I would just close my eyes and breathe before giving them their demands. I believe Aurelia and I raised our kids to be contented in the food that we give them but sometimes, their cravings becomes weird enough for them to throw tantrums. Those are days when it is hard for me to just console them with words.

With my droopy eyes, I continued to finish the report. I have been staring at this computer for the whole day but I don't mind as long as this will keep me putting food on our table.

But the vibration from my phone made me halt. As I picked it up, I saw my wife calling. Immediately, a smile was plastered onto my face. Sigurado akong hindi si Aurelia ang may hawak ng cellphone. It's either Elyse or Devon but nevertheless, I answered it.

"Daddy!"

I was right about a kid holding their Mom's phone but I was wrong in guessing who it was because the twins were both struggling to keep their faces together in the screen.

"Give me the phone first. I'm older than you!" Elyse, the girl one among the twins argued with her twin brother once more.

"You are only a minute older! We were still born on the same day!" Devon, as usual, fought back with his principles about Elyse and him being born into this world the same day - but only a minute apart.

"Stop arguing or I'll take that phone away from you. Tell Daddy what you wanna say and go back to your beds after. It's too late," I heard my wife reprimand our children.

I chuckled. It's probably because of my wife's childish antics when it was just the two of us that when she's being this strict to our children, it feels new to me.

"Fine! You hold the phone, I tell Daddy what we want when he comes back home!" Elyse gave in to her brother, eventually.

Being the goofy one that he is, Devon stuck his tongue out at his sister before firmly holding the phone. I was just watching them the whole time. At some point, I felt calm and serene. Like always.

"Kids," I called their attention. "What do you want this time, huh?"

I readied myself for whatever weird food combination they would like me to get this time. It's late in the night but if they want me to get avocados even when it's not in season, then I'll find one for them. I just hope it's not something that'll only be found in cities outside of Manila.

I remember how they sent me to Baguio on their third birthday just because they were craving for Strawberries. At 12 midnight, they both threw their biggest tantrum and were only able to calm down after I've given them what they were craving for.

Ah, kids.

"Daddy, when are you going home?" Elyse sweetly asked me while Devon kept on making faces at his sister.