introduction

Copyright © 2022 by cecropia_writes

All rights reserved.

This book, plot, dialogue, and characters are entirely my own. No part of this book may be reproduced or otherwise used in any means without my express written permission.

Or, in other words, don't steal my book. In other other words, don't be a dick. Thanks!

**

cafe saturn: a playlist (optional to read)

- Like Real People Do - Hozier

- fever dream - mxmtoon

- Soldier, Poet, King - The Oh Hellos

- Strawberry Blonde - Mitski

- Love to Keep Me Warm - Laufey, Dodie

- Better Together - Jack Johnson

- Winter Song - Sara Bareilles, Ingrid Michaelson

- Dance With Me - beabadoobee

- Devil Town - Cavetown

- It's Nice To Have A Friend - Taylor Swift

- two queens in a king sized bed - girl in red

- Banana Pancakes - Jack Johnson

- Golden - Harry Styles

- This December - Ricky Montgomery

i realize a few of these are "christmas" songs (or at least written for the winter season). i want to clarify that "cafe saturn" is not a christmas or holiday novel, but a big part of it takes place during winter (referred to as "cozy season" in the book), and the wintry songs remind me of that part of the book in particular.

also, i recognize that many of these are written about romantic relationships. the relationship existing between kaia and mouse is strictly platonic (queerplatonic at the very most), so please do not interpret them as a romantic couple. you're welcome to do as i did and reimagine the lyrics in a platonic way or ignore the romantic lyrics. thank you <3

**

author's note (optional to read)

welcome to cafe saturn! please feel free to take a seat and make yourself comfortable.

if you've never read any of my works before, my name is sage (she/they). (for any friends or old readers who don't know, i stopped using my real name in author's notes because it made me feel uncomfortable.) i'm excited to have you here!

i started writing "cafe saturn" as a way to cope with something that happened to me earlier this year in order to get comfortable talking about it. my hope is that by sharing my story through my characters, i'm able to reach out to people who have been through similar things and offer them some form of support.

to clarify, this book is not based on a true story, but many elements, scenes, and even dialogue are directly pulled from my past and used as kaia's (and sometimes mouse's) backstory. this is because these sorts of experiences are different for everyone and i wanted to keep it as realistic and respectful as possible, so i'm writing kaia's experiences as very similar to mine. (again, kaia is not based off of me. she looks, behaves, and thinks differently than i do. she just has had a similar experience to mine.)

(and yes, this book is very self-indulgent. the two main characters support each other in ways i wish someone had supported me as i was going through this and afterwards. i hope you all can find people who are there for you and respect your boundaries during your healing process like kaia and mouse.)

also, i'm very used to writing extremely dark fantasy novels and wanted to cleanse my palette by writing something soft and quiet.

i'll be putting tws (sometimes referred to as "content allergies" to go along with the theme of the novel) at the beginning of each chapter, but please let me know if i've missed any.

if you've made it this far, i do hope you enjoy the book. i really appreciate the support. <3

- sage :)