Chapter Three

Meera's Pov:

Breathe.

In one, out two.

I leaned over the sink in the bathroom, my lunch threatening to pour out at any moment.

Breathe goddamnit.

I slammed my fist down on the counter. Dry heaving, I plucked a tissue from the box and blotted my face.

I felt my mind spin. Holy fuck. It felt as if my lungs were collapsing. Too much was going on, my mind was running in all sorts of directions and it made me feel sick.

Once I collected myself, I exited the bathroom and quietly walked back to my table in the venue room.

Wes is back.

I wasn't expecting him to come back until the fifteenth. Him coming back five days earlier caught me by complete surprise.

How the hell am I going to explain my situation to him?

All the possibilities run through my head and each and everyone of them ended up with a bad conclusion. I shook the thoughts out of my head for now.

We can deal with this when it comes up.

Even though i tried to push the thoughts about Wes off my mind, my eyes kept wandering the room until they landed right on him.

I got up and headed to the bar. "Can I get a virgin Shirley Temple?"

"Coming right up." The bartender smiles.

"Make it two, will you?"

I froze. Wes slid into the opening next to me and leaned against the counter.

"May I have a dance?" He asked softly.

I nodded, sipping my drink. "I'm sorry," I added, hoping to break the tension. "We should probably talk as well." He added, scaring me.

I inhaled deeply before chugging down the rest of my drink as he did the same. He held out his hand and I took it, following him to the dance floor.

"Is this okay?" He asked, motioning to his hand on my waist.

"Yeah," I breathed.

We danced in the most painful silence for the next five minutes. "Can we go outside?" I asked.

"Sure."

He led me back out to the courtyard. "I'm sorry I froze up on you." I began. "I was shocked to see you here in the first place and I didn't- I don't know what came over me," my throat closed up over the last words.

"When were you going to tell me?" He asked.

"Tell you what?" I slowly asked, confused.

"Bout what happened to you!" Wes snapped, moving away from me.

My mouth dropped in surprise. "Who told you?" I asked, my eyes glazing over.

"When were you going to tell me?" He repeated.

"I was going to tell you alone, privately when you got back from Russia. I didn't know you were coming back early." I struggled to breathe, my hand automatically went up to my chest, rubbing it frantically, trying to calm down.

I pressed my eyes shut, tears falling down regardless of how hard I tried not to cry.

"Wes will you please listen to me?" I croaked.

I see him walking away from the courtyard, and I walk after him. "Wes, please?"

He increased his pace and I walked faster, accidentally stepping into a divot and hearing my heel crack before breaking, taking me down with it. "Shit! Ow, ow." I winced, grabbing onto the bench next to me.