Chapter Nine

Meera's Pov:

I lay on Wes's bed, flipping through a book while he typed away on his laptop.

It had been a few days since Florida and my henna was still going strong. Every time I flipped a page, I could see the W intertwined with the vines for Wes's name. It made me feel some sort of happiness seeing it there.

"Are we still on for Freddie's with Rowan and Sara?" I ask for the third time in the past twenty-four hours. Freddie's is one of Wes's favorite places to eat and it was my turn to choose where we go so I picked Freddie's.

"Uh?" He turns his head towards me, hesitant. "That's today?" He asks.

"Yeah," I say, dropping my head slightly.

"I can't make it, I'm so sorry."

"I've been telling you about this all day though," I muttered.

"I know,"

"Why can't you make it?" I asked, looking up.

"I'm volunteering at the shelter." He mumbled, not meeting my eyes.

"Oh," my heart drops to my stomach for a second. "That's okay, have fun." I pull my lips into a tight smile.

"Drink a shake for me," he leaned over, attempting to kiss my forehead but he just opted for an awkward hug.

"Okay," I glance at my phone and realize I have about half an hour to go get ready. "Imma head out but I'll see you tomorrow okay?"

I walk over to my house and find Sara doing her makeup in front of my mirror.

"You look good," I mark as I open my closet, perusing through my dresses.

"Thanks,"

I grab a short black fit and flare dress. "How does this look?"

"Hot." She trailed an eye down the dress. "Wes is gonna lose his shit."

Hearing his name brought my smile down. "Wes isn't going." I said.

"What? Why not?" She asks, coming up to me.

"He forgot that he had volunteering," I sighed.

"Seriously?"

"It's okay," I breathed, more to reassure myself rather than Sara. "Anyways so this is good?"

"It's perfect," Sara smiles.

Twenty minutes later, Rowan rang the doorbell. He came straight from his new apartment. Sara and him lived in the same apartment building together. Her apartment was a floor above his though.

At first, they were both going to drive to Thayler from home but decided that an apartment would be a better choice. Even though freshmen can't have apartments, they made it work because the dorms were fully booked.

"Where's Wes?" He asked, giving me a side hug. "Not coming." I replied. "He's volunteering."

"Really?"

"Yeah,"

"Okay well now we don't have to go to Freddie's."

"Oh my gosh yes," Sara says, "Meera, pick your favorite place."

"Uh I don't know,"

"Should we go to the square and walk around first and then eat?" I asked.

"Yeah we could do that."

"Where should we eat though?" Rowan asked.

"Green garden?" I ask, showing a picture of the outside.

"I'm down, I've always wanted to try it." Rowan replied, glancing at the photo.