Duck and the Diesel

The next morning was good for 36 either, the engines still gave him the cold buffer as they watched him work around the yards. For 36, he felt very alone and depressed, all the same, he did his work without fuss and worked hard in the yard. But later that day, 36 found a pair of eyes that struck him the hardest. He didn't say or even do anything, but after a minute or so, he groaned and moved over to where Duck was scowling at him.

"Listen Duck," he began, "I--"

"Shut up," said Duck.

36 went silent and looked awkwardly away. "You can't say anything," said Duck, "you have no right, not even the right to be on these rails after what you did."

He didn't shout, but Duck was wheeshing steam wildly, and 36 felt like he was a bomb ready to explode. "You are the reason so many people were at risk that day," Duck said crossly, "I was in the works being repaired for ages and so much damage was caused, not just to the railway."

A still-silent 36 just looked down at his buffers. "What do you have to say?"

36 then looked up. "But you said that I should--"

Duck then blew his whistle, let off steam, and puffed angrily out of the yards, taking his goods back up the Little Western. 36 stayed where he was, going quiet once again. His thoughts were then interrupted by a toot of a horn and Paxton came up next to him. "Come on 36," he called, "we best get back to work! Still, a lot to do!"

A risen eyebrow came from 36. "Shouldn't you... not be near me?" he asked slowly.

"No," said Paxton, puzzled, "why do you ask that? Am I not allowed?"

36 blinked. "You do realise I was the true Diesel back in 1958?"

"Yes," said Paxton, "but I think anyone can change! You've just got to give them a chance, and besides, you did show up that... that... Diesel?"

36 smiled in bemusement, the first time since last night. "Come on," said Paxton, "best hurry! My driver says there'll be horrid winds coming soon!" The two diesel shunters then moved off to continue their work, as the clouds rolled in.

***

Duck was still fuming as he arrived at the top station on the branch line, he came to a halt in the yards, still having plenty of steam and nowhere to put it. Douglas was nearby and watched the Great Western engine with interest. "Yae seem a bit boothered Duck," he commented, "what sae yae mind?"

"Diesel," Duck said bluntly.

"Och, which one?"

Duck glared at the Scottish engine, but the other engine remained composed and stared right back at the Great Western engine. "Both of them," Duck replied, "the imposter one went around the day yesterday, claiming he was Diesel! That shouldn't even be allowed! It is horrid, hurtful, and very disgusting to claim to be someone who did terrible things. What does he want? Attention?"

"Most likely."

"And then the actual Diesel back then is here and didn't bother telling anyone, instead he goes and plays tricks with the trucks!" Duck went on.

"Aye, that wasn't the smartest idea from the wee bugger," Douglas replied, "but yae got tae admit, the imposing Diesel did have it coming tae him."

"Yes, but it caused damage in the process! Is Stephen even going to punish him?"

"I think 36 is on his last chance on making a good impression on Stephen," Douglas said, "he has done an excellent job with handling the yard, I'll give him that, and he's actually been quite a pleasant lad when I talked to him, Donal' agrees with me on that tae."