Antithesis of Life- Phosphex

Phosphex has always been one of the most feared weapons in the Federation's arsenal, and its use was highly restricted after the Second Galactic War by the Kokitika Convention alongside several other deadly munitions. Originally invented as a way to destroy the emergent Ur-Krorks and completely annihilate all traces of their spores, Phosphex was used many times during that fateful conflict that shook the galaxy, and was incredibly effective at massacring greenskins- at the cost of rendering entire planets uninhabitable until the years known as the Recuperation Period.

A common misconception is that Phosphex is the burning green flames that one sees when it is deployed. In reality, Phosphex itself is a radically volatile chemical compound stored within Phosphex weaponry, and when released from containment it explodes into the signature dark emerald fire associated with Phosphex. Phosphex fire is completely and utterly inimical to life- aside from being hot enough to melt through adamantium, it is also highly poisonous- untreated Phosphex poisoning can kill a Solar Operator within mere minutes. The toxic fumes generated from Phosphex fires have the same effect. Last but not least, Phosphex flames also release lethal amounts of radiation, the level of which is usually seen near the epicentre of nuclear detonations.

One of Phosphex's most unique properties is motion tracking. In those desperate days, as the Overboss's forces carved a bloody path towards Terra, scientists somehow provided a way for Phosphex fires to be attracted towards movement- the flames will prioritize spreading towards anything that moves, further increasing its destructive potential against enemies of mankind.

So far, no physical material can completely resist being broken down by Phosphex. The living flame devours everything to create more of itself, up to and including oceans. Even the most reinforced Federation battle-automata can only last no more than twenty minutes, serving as an example of its sheer power. Phosphex burns even in sub-zero temperatures- icy worlds are no defense against it.

Even so, there are ways to defend against this baleful weapon. Isolated in an absolute vacuum, Phosphex flames will burn out eventually, no matter what. Phosphex is also extinguished when subjected to temperatures a few degrees above absolute zero. There are also other more esoteric methods- stasis weaponry can hold the wrathful flames at bay effectively, for even Phosphex cannot burn its way out of stopped time. The psychic discipline known as telekinesis enables psykers to stop Phosphex in its tracks, though the experience has been described as highly tiring.

Phosphex can be utilized in a matter of ways- the most popular method is the Mark IV Modalis Atmospheric Missile, which disperses a continent-sized cloud of Phosphex over a planet. The resulting conflagration will scour away all life on the surface, and also burn away matter for kilometres deep, irradiating the planet. If left unattended, the flames will completely incinerate the planet until there is nothing left. Phosphex Shells contain orbs of the substance suspended within stasis, and are usually used in orbital bombardment or naval engagements.

Phosphex can also be used in handheld weaponry, although mostly wielded by remote-controlled Iron Mind automata. A Phosphex Sprayer can fire a pressurized jet of Phoshex for hundreds of metres if necessary, while Phosphex Grenades and Cannons fire rounds that spread Phosphex over a large area. Recently, on Mars an highly unorthodox armor called the Firecloak is being developed; using grav-suspenders flaming plates of Phosphex are suspended over the surface of the armour, so that the wearer can incinerate anything they touch.

There are several variants of Phosphex, which are differentiated by color.

Red Phosphex: Burns far more longer in a vacuum than normal Phosphex, utilized in naval combat. The most famous usage of Red Phosphex is the ship weapon known as the Trencher, which creates walls of Phosphex hundreds of kilometres long in space.

Grey Phosphex: The speed at which this variant's flames spread is greatly reduced. Usually used in handheld Phosphex weapons.

Blue Phosphex: This variant has a unique property; it can absorb electrical energy to further increase its temperature, burning speed and volume of toxic fumes produced. Used in conjunction with Lightning Weaponry, its destructive potential surpasses that of ordinary Phosphex.

Black Phosphex: A recently developed weapon, this variant has been laced with several psychically-insulant substances. The result is a flame that is highly resistant to psychic manipulation; rumour has it that the Federation has started manufacturing the substance in large quantities.