Chapter 31: Demi-Human.

Year 1880

Sayuri 

So many ways the battle could have ended, most of them unsurprisingly concluding with Ethan's death. There's not much I would have been able to do either. I've known them both long enough to know that once they've set their mind to something, there's practically nothing that can dissuade their stupidly relentless resolve.

Despite all odds though, Ethan is alive. He lies here unconscious on the bed in front of me in my father's home, inside one of many designated guest rooms. Holding Ethan's hand in mine, I've been sitting beside him, monitoring his critical condition. 

Three days have gone by since the fight with my father, and he's barely alive.

This is one of those situations where I wish Ethan and I's situation was reversed. If he was a demon and I, a human, I could have given him my energy and he would have recovered in no time. 

But as fate would have it, transferring energy from a demon to a human isn't possible. Because humans aren't capable of processing our unique type of energy, the result of trying to give them our energy ends in the human losing their mind to our demonic power. And while Ethan's chances are better than the average human's because of his adeptness at magic, it's not a risk I wish to take.

My mind goes back to the final moments of that battle where I was certain I would lose him. Father was indeed more than ready to strike him down once and for all, of that I'm certain.

And yet, I didn't foresee the unexpected twist that would end the battle.

I'm pulled from the event replaying in my head as a knock sounds on the door. The door opens and closes shortly afterward, but I didn't take my eyes off Ethan. I know the sound of footsteps behind me was my father's as he walked into the room, daring not to speak.

Of course, I'll have to be the one to break the strangling silence in the room. His pride wouldn't allow him to be the first to speak and explain his actions, even though I can fathom the many reasons behind them on my own.

"Am I supposed to ask why you did it?", my voice is stern and my eyes remain glued to Ethan, holding his hand tightly, "Fine, then I'll ask: If you hate him so much, why did you save him?"

The room falls into an eerily silence, as I had anticipated. I'm not even sure if he even knows why he did what he did. He's never been one to talk about the things going through his head, and I shouldn't expect that to change.

Ethan was going to strike my father with hopefully one last spell to hold him back, but we all knew that Ethan's death was all but guaranteed.

"I'm sorry", Father finally speaks and it honestly almost startled me.

My eyes widened a bit. I would think that I just misheard him, but I'm sure my father just apologized to me. There have been very few times when he has accepted that he has been the one at fault. 

In most cases, he'll rather die than accept any sort of accountability.

He takes a deep breath before continuing his apology.

"I've never been the best father, I know that. You have every right to resent me for daring to get between you and the human you've fallen in love with", his voice softens but then takes on a more serious tone, "However, this path you're both on will not bring you any semblance of happiest, Sayuri."

Of course, I know what he's going to say next.

"This world we live in doesn't take well to our kind, less those who descend from both demon and human parents. You know that both demons and humans alike will not be kind to a demi-human child of demon descent."