Chapter 18 | All Over Again

Eddy paces up and down the hall, with ears still glued to the commotion in Maddie's hospital room. The doctor just administered the fourth electrical shock, and it still did not help. Now they are preparing for the very last defibrillation effort; if the fifth attempt does not result in resetting her failing heart rate back to normal, then there is nothing left to do than to abandon all endeavors and come to terms with the fact that they cannot save her life.

 Now they are preparing for the very last defibrillation effort; if the fifth attempt does not result in resetting her failing heart rate back to normal, then there is nothing left to do than to abandon all endeavors and come to terms with the fac...

Meanwhile, Sophie is trying to distract herself by caring for Brett's empty soulless body. He fidgeted a little while ago, and now his brows furrowed in such an intense manner it's unsettling to look at. Did he find Maddie's soul, or whatever equivalent astral projection the magic takes out from people's flesh and bones? She woefully examines his face, overwhelmed by the feeling of utter dejection. But Sophie is still holding out a sliver of hope that he and her friend will make it. That everything will be alright in the end.

"Brett?!" she exclaimed, alerting Eddy to turn around in an instant.

Droplets of tears pool on the lines of his eyes, slowly trickling down his face. His breath is shaking, each inhales and corresponding exhale riddled with intense shudders. Brett's friend approached his quivering body, calling his name in desperation.

"What's wrong," he grips Brett's shoulders, "please tell us..."

At the same time, Sophie and Eddy can hear the doctor and nurses are ready for the final defibrillation. They could not choose which one to watch or give attention to; Maddie's life or death situation, or Brett's possible trajectory to the same route as Maddie. Because looking at the trembling figure, they might have to admit Brett into hospital care right this second.

Torn between two deathly crises, the only thing they could do at the moment is to have both of their hands stay on Brett while their eyes poised at the window looking into Maddie's room.

"Clear!!!"

***

The hospital room went quiet. Incessant beeping alarm from the machines Maddie is attached to turns quiet. Grave silence flooded the space.