3 • Patient Zero

Author's note: I used gender neutral pronouns to unnamed characters in this chapter.
My writing style may have changed🥹
-

The storm may have rested forever, but for the Special Division for Unusual Powers, this is a completely different turning point.

One of the patients in the previous flawed incident years ago finally woke up, and then everyone who were present followed shortly. Something that Ango was hoping for—maybe even he predicted long ago to happen. But how did they seem to come back to life when they were all declared brain dead?

This isn't the same old miracle you know.

"W-Well the other patients have awakened normally so why patient zero, sir?"

"Simply because they're labeled as patient zero, the first one who was under flawed effects. You wouldn't be finding information in a secondary source right? Unless you're hiding something from your superiors."

"I- no sir but you're right, I mean you're right with the source thingy sir!" The rookie is trying their best to keep up with Ango while walking. "W-With all due respect, we just highly DO NOT recommend that you actually talk in person with patient zero! They may have brought chaos to this waking world that we might not able to handle with our own manpower—"

"As far as I know, we were actually the ones who brought these people safely, so we were able to do whatever we wanted since then." He fixed his glasses and seemed to give the staff a dark and intimidating aura. "...Did you just underestimated your own workplace too?"

The staff just realized what he meant, and Ango certainly wants to put everything under his control, as it should be. "N-No sir I'm sorry, but please! Sir, proceed with caution, it's just...errr,

... patient zero seems to be having a panic attack the moment they woke up, like they didn't want to be in the first place."

"Hey enough chitchat you two!" Cyan haired agent Mizuki Tsujimura just came in to assist Ango. Realizing she sort of behaved too casually, she cleared her throat. "Ahem! Uhm senpai, sorry about that I'm just—"

"Excited?" Ango said while studying the patient from the intensive care unit room that the government built within the division—the doctors must've put them to short sleep to make them calm. Their life support equipments were removed as it seems like the doctors have declared the patient out of harm. They remained healthy throughout the years, stayed fit and well-groomed, nourishments and everything was provided by the government anyways.

"Well yeah senpai, ahem! We've been waiting for so long for this right?" She sighs, reminiscing the first time they worked together, this was also Ango's first case so this is indeed something to cast one's mind to. "Going back... Like this rookie said they were having a panic attack earlier, telling everyone in their sight to bring them back there. We don't know yet what place or whatever there they're pertaining to, they don't seem to want to cooperate with us unless yeah, we give in to their demand." Mizuki briefly explained. Ango was just silent, connecting dots and putting up pieces together of what's up. The rookie staff just laughed nervously.

"When is the estimated time for the medicine to wear off? I have to discuss something with them as soon as possible."

Mizuki furrowed her eyebrows, eyeing her co-worker. "You're seemingly in a rush, senpai? Like they're going to disappear again huh?"

Ango stared back with utter seriousness. He surely knows what he's doing. "You're right but I'm afraid it's not them, it's their memories of that place which may be temporary. We must set our minds that they were in different timeline, maybe even in another dimension, for years. Everything that they know—that are not supposed to be in their minds in the first place—here in the waking world just like this smart guy said, may disappear."