16 : The fall

I found myself wearing a rather sexy red dress that my best friend had chosen. I had my curly hair cascading down my shoulders. I finish getting ready when I hear a knock on my door.

I turn to my best friend. My heart is pounding and I'm not sure what to do. I just want to go and hide.

Morane: Carla, you look beautiful. You'll be fine. Just remember to let go.

I nod and she pushes me to the door. Morane rushes into the bathroom and hides. While I open the door. I hold my breath when I see Carlos dressed in a suit.

My gaze moves first to his white shirt where some button is open and shows the beginning of his chest, then to his jacket which suits him perfectly and the trousers which go with it.

I see him look up at me and gape. I see his eyes slowly move down to my outfit before returning to my eyes.

Carlos: Carla... You look beautiful.

Me: Thank you... You look very elegant too.

I smile before I see him move and hand me his arm. We head for the exit. The ride in the beautiful Ferrari was very quiet it wasn't an awkward silence but simply a silence that allowed our gazes to intermingle with the flashes of city light.

Carlos gives me his hand to get out of the car and we join Charles and Lando. When they see us, Lando has a huge smile on his face.

Lando: Carla you look amazing. He hugs me before turning to his best friend. You too Carlos but not as good as Carla.

Carlos: Thanks Lando and I agree with you. I'm glad I'm the lucky one who has her on his arm.

I turn my face towards him with a smile that returns me. I remain mesmerized by his wonderful smile.

Charles: We'd better go.

Everyone agrees and we walk into the restaurant. The luxurious restaurant is breathtaking. I stand in awe of the splendour of the place. A man shows us to a table in a room adjacent to the main one. I sit down next to Charles.

Carlos faces me and next to him is Lando. We settle in and order our food. After our drinks arrive Lando decides to make a toast.

Lando: To our victory!

We all respond before clinking our glasses. I finish with Carlos taking a sip staring into those brown eyes that pierce me, my heart beating so hard I feel my heart pounding on my temples. Carlos continues to stare at me with a charming smile until Lando calls out to him. I turn my face to Charles' side when I feel my cheeks turn hot.

I feel Charles' gaze. He looks at me with a puzzled look. I nod and ask him what's going on. He brings his face close to my ear.

Charles: I'm dreaming where there's a thing between you two. I only nod in a negative way and hope I am convincing. Carla please I've known you since you were 8 and I know Carlos very well. He stares at me with his eyebrows raised as if to encourage me to tell the truth.

I only look Charles in the eye before resigning myself to tell him the truth.

Me: It's complicated...

Charles has a small laugh before adding.

Charles: So I was right. He laughs before I can add anything else a waiter brings our food back.

The four of us start eating. The evening goes divinely well, the four of us laughing and the conversation flowing naturally between us. After talking to the other three and having a good laugh. I feel my cheeks burning.