Chapter 6: Macau

A/N: I took some dialogue from the series.

A month after Vegas entered his coma, Pete was starting to get desperate. We all were. His body was healing, but what was the point if he wasn't here ?

I think part of Pete's problem was he was juggling too many things. The nanny he hired had yet to start, so Pete was learning how to take care of an infant while running part of the household, taking care of me, and still taking very detailed care of my brother. Once I walked in just in time to see Pete nodding off as he attempted to shave Vegas's face. I rushed over quickly, grabbing the straight razor from him with a grin as I suggested he shave Vegas later. Besides, it would be interesting to see what Vegas looked like with a bit of stubble, right? Pete blushed at the suggestion and began to wash the shaving foam off of Hia's face, kissing his eyelids.

Nop and I convinced Pete to take a nap. Chay and I took turns offering to help with the baby, but Pete always said he didn't want to get in the way of our studies. He could handle it. Except for the fact that he clearly could not.

"Vegas, if you don't wake up soon I'm going to find myself a wife, you bastard," Pete yelled one day, on the brink of tears from sheer exhaustion. Reason #78 that Pete was for certain a witch: his outburst worked. Vegas's fingers twitched.

I pushed the button quickly to call a nurse as Pete stared intently at Vegas's hand, saying, "C'mon, love, do it again! I know you can hear me! Asshole Vegas, you better open your eyes and kiss me!"

Pete stayed by Vegas's side as much as possible after that, in the fear that Hia would open his eyes and not see him there. Nop had the duty of shuttling little Venice around the hospital so Pete could see him as often as possible. One morning must have been particularly rough, because when I walked in, Nop was quietly changing Venice's diaper. I glanced over and Pete was on the bed with Vegas, pressed into his side, with his head carefully resting on the unbandaged portion of my brother's chest.

I quietly moved towards Nop and whispered, "How long has he been out?"

"Only about 30 minutes," he said, snapping the buttons on Venice's onesie again. I peered down and couldn't help but smile at his cute little face. He couldn't do much except look back at me, but for some reason that alone made me feel happy. Nop whispered that he was going to take Venice back to his room, and suggested I go ahead and take a nap as well so I wouldn't disturb Pete and I nodded. I had stayed up the night before watching a series with everyone at the Main House, so a nap sounded like just the right thing. It was the weekend as well, so Chay said he would come by to play with the baby later in the afternoon.

I laid back in the reclining chair, resting my eyes, but before I could fall asleep, I heard Pete getting up with a heavy sigh. Slowly, I heard him pad across the room to caress the top of my head before he moved out of the room. I must have dozed off because I awoke to the sound of Pete moving the curtains to let in the sunlight.

"Are you up?" he said so casually I thought he was speaking to me. I opened my eyes slightly to see Pete's back facing me. He was looking towards the bed, where my brother was sitting up as if he hadn't been gravely injured for the last several weeks. Pete's tone was warm and carefree as if he hadn't been desperately counting the minutes until Hia awoke.

"For a while now. And where have you been?" Vegas said, his voice a little rough from disuse.

"I bought some food for Macau. In case he wakes up and gets hungry," Pete said, gesturing toward me. I quickly shut my eyes again in case Vegas looked over at me.

"Why are you still here?" I heard Vegas say in English. He sounded oddly calm but I could hear the shock in his voice. You and me both, bro. Who knew why Pete would wait around for your crazy ass.