Chapter 6

"Ok Valerie you'll be good to go in a few minutes, let me just get your pain medication." He wrote on a paper and then handed it to me, my prescription for my meds.

When he walked in in the morning he looked at my cheek a little too long and i guessed that it was a little purple, but you couldn't make out fingers or a hand. The doctor didn't look like the guy who would just see a bruise on my cheek in the shape of a hand and walk away. So it was probably that he hadn't seen it.

He walked out the room and came back in. He handed me the bottle of pills and i held it in my hand just looking at the thing. I shouldn't have this, i have to throw it away.

After a few seconds i put it to the side. The doctor still hasn't left so i said "thanks" giving him way to say you're welcome and leave. But he just stood there in a weird looking way, looking down. He looked too young to be a doctor, maybe 17.

"How old are you?" I blurted out. Maybe i was too tired to think before i spoke. He looked up, "Seventeen" "You aren't a doctor" "I know that, I'm an intern." I didn't know what to say so i just looked to my plain white bedsheets. I tried so hard to not look at the pill bottle again, a long lost friend that i always found comfort in after my father left.

After a little while of uncomfort he sighed and sat down in a chair. "What happened to your face." I panicked for a bit then joked, "Rude much? I hit my head in the shower." "It wasn't there yesterday when you came in" I scoffed at him hoping he couldn't see past my lies. "You just weren't paying attention then"

He laughed at me and i sat up a little more, getting dizzy. "What? You probably just didn't notice it." He laughed a little harder as i grew irritated "I don't see the joke." He stopped laughing and said "I pay attention to things more than some of the doctors here, stop lying to me and tell me what happened to your cheek."

I thought for a second if i should tell him, but then again why would he care, he doesn't know me. "It's not your problem to know" "Your mom came last night, i just wanted to tell you since she left quickly after she went in the room. I assumed you were asleep so she just went home." I didn't answer and looked out the window. I didn't feel like speaking anymore and i just wanted him to get out so i can get home.

He probably got the memo and got up. Instead he walked to me, and handed me a piece of paper. "You don't deserve to be hit." He said sweetly, then left. The piece of papers had scribbled numbers on it. I suppose i could leave now so i got up and grabbed what i had, which was hardly anything. I stuffed the two papers in my jeans that were somehow clean now. I grabbed the pill bottle and as soon as i opened the door of the hospital to leave I took the bottle and threw it in the trash.

Those pills made my life only worse. Along with my abusive alcoholic mother i had bullies who were only focused on my sexual orientation and i couldn't trust anyone anymore incase they were connected with Matthew. Things have gotten a little better. I'm not addicted to pills anymore and my mother has stopped caring about me so much.

I used to lock myself up in my room and cry real quiet. I didn't want my mom to hear and get upset at me. I didn't want to hear myself cry because it made me cry more. Once my mom heard me cry and busted into my room breaking my lock. I ran out, but she caught me at the stairs. She hit me and i fell over, breaking my ankle. Then that's when i got addicted to the pain killers. I would even hurt myself to get more. I stopped crying so much and was numb to the constant bullying at school. You could say I was insensible.

I couldn't hear the people talking about me anymore. I couldn't see the people's disgusted looks. I couldn't taste my bitter tears running down my cheeks and burning my eyes. I couldn't smell the alcohol and cigarette smoke. I couldn't feel. Nothing could bother me anymore, not when i blocked off all my senses to the outside world.

I could only hear my own thoughts, counting down the days until i was old enough to run away and get a job and sustain myself. I could get away from this little town. But not now. Now all i could do was wait.

--------------
A/N: Hey! A little of valerie's life and what it was like about a year ago. Thank you for reading! <3