01. A blanket of comfort

*****

*****

If it was in Samaira's hands, she'd have locked herself away in her room, away from the bustling environment and the constant screams that were being thrown from one corner to another. Her temple ached badly, alarming her of a retiring health but ignoring it, she carried the last bundle of recyclable plates to the huge table.

"Haye Allah, Sami, nikah mein mulazim ka role play karna hai tumhe?"

(Oh my God, Sami, do you want to play the role of a maid in the wedding?)

Biting her lips, the one in question closed her eyes and wished for some luck to be thrown at her- not like she was lucky the other days but moments like these left her cornered.

Especially since she didn't have an excuse good enough to escape her ammi's scoldings.

"Ammi, woh bas main.."

(Mom, I was just..)

She paused, looking around in hopes of finding something she could use to her advantage.

"Sab ke saamne tayyar hone ka irada hai?"

(Planning to get ready in front of everyone?)

"Ammi!"

(Mom!)

Samaira whined in embarrassment when a few people passing by snickered at her mother's words.

Mahrukh Baksh gave her daughter a glare, one that promised chaos if she didn't doll herself up in the next 10 minutes.

Grumbling under her breath, Samaira left the arrangements in her mother's hands and with a sulking pout, raced to her room to make herself appropriate enough for a desi wedding- especially the wedding of her own twin sister.

Much to Samaira's relief, her dress was already sprawled across her bed along with the matching accessories. Thank the Lord above that her mother knew her well enough to do so or else, Samaira could imagine herself running around like a headless chicken, not knowing what to wear or how to start.

Changing into the blush pink and white lehenga, filled with intricate floral designs and zigzag patterns, Samaira couldn't guess whether she was heavy or the dress. Tying her auburn hair in an updo, she didn't dare make any hairstyle, simply parting her hair in the middle and cleanly tucking the baby hairs away.

Next, she put on the jhumkas that looked painfully beautiful. Her poor ears would have to suffer in them but their beauty made up for it- in fact, if at all, it was one of the few jewellery items she cherished.

Since Samaira Baksh was known for her unhealthy obsession with rings, she was quick to put a few on her fingers, giving them a good awe-filled look. Her stance on make-up was usually neutral, so trying to keep it simple, she gave herself a quick touch and ended the look by applying kohl to her cocoa brown eyes.