14. At my expense

*****

*****

Zanish Baksh reluctantly agreed to meet Zaigham after Samaira returned home with a smile and consent to proceed with the arrangement. He was still hesitant with all of this- especially seeing how Rehan Abbasi looked so displeased the day they came forth with the proposal. He didn't want his daughter to hear anything that'd scar her even though he knew she was strong enough to handle more than he often gave her the credit for.

But alas, he was a father and her safety- be it physical or mental- was his priority.

As of now, when Zaigham sat ahead of him, staring calmly at him with a hint of nervousness in his eyes, Zanish Baksh relaxed his stance and motioned for him to drink from the untouched cup of tea that had been resting between them on the table for a good few minutes.

"I'm not too fond of politics."

Zaigham swallowed down the small sip he had begrudgingly taken. Clearing his throat, he kept the cup down and gave the elder man a small smile.

"Neither am I, Mr. Baksh but one can't forever ignore the family's call."

"So it wasn't your own decision to step into politics?"

Zanish Baksh looked curious regarding what Zaigham had just disclosed. He did find it weird at first but seeing as how often people with political backgrounds chose the field as their profession, he didn't think much about it- until now.

"It wasn't. Abbu wanted the chairman position to remain within the family hence why he asked me to join the party 2 years back."

Zanish had sensed the turmoil in the young man's eyes and with a sigh, he shifted the topic, not wanting to drag himself in a family drama.

"Sami said you're willing to marry her and not just for the sake of the media."

At his words, Zaigham gave a firm nod as his small smile inched a little more.

"Marriage is a big decision. No one would like to be forced into it, especially with someone they're not too fond of."

"You say as though you know Sami very well. She can be moody enough for you to question your whole life."

Zanish tried to lay the hints of all the cons they'd have in their marriage if they went forward with it. Blame it on his selfishness but Zanish Baksh was still not satisfied with the Abbasi.

"I can be equally patient, Mr. Baksh. I'm sure you know well that married life isn't all rainbows and sunshine. I've witnessed my own grandparents and parents and if I'm even remotely aware of what all a relationship takes to survive, I'm sure no one will face any issues."

"Sami does not like men with short tempers."

"I'd like to believe that I handle my anger well. Yes, there are days when it slips but never to an extent of violence."