02. A wave of serenity

*****

*****

A shrill noise ringing just beside her ears woke Samaira up at 5 in the morning. Extending her hand aimlessly to find her phone and snooze the alarm, she grumbled under her breath when it seemed to be a little far away from her reach.

Peeking from one of her eyes that felt difficult to open- maybe because of the amount of tears she had shed last night before going to sleep- Samaira sighed in relief when she finally shut the alarm off.

"Why am I up?"

Her voice was groggy as she questioned herself with a frown. Her whole body ached from last night, especially her feet. Rolling and turning on the bed for another 15 minutes, she sat up with her back against the headboard of her bed.

Her room felt unusually cold and she knew why. The bitter feeling in her heart rose to her throat again and she had to rub her eyes to not start crying again.

Samaira had let go of Zaira along with a part of herself. It wasn't like she wouldn't see her again but things had changed. They had changed so drastically, that even when Samaira's heart wanted to call her sister to start her morning with the usual bickering, she knew she couldn't.

"Stop with the depressing thoughts already."

She hit her forehead to smack some sense in her mind but it was easier said than done. Hoping to get her mind occupied by something else, with turtle steps she got in the washroom for a warm shower. Making it quick, she came back to sit on the bed in her floral printed pajamas.

Staring aimlessly for a few seconds, with a tired sigh, she took hold of her laptop to get done with the project she had been assigned. If she didn't love engineering, she'd have run miles away from even the reminder of the word.

Squinting her eyes when she found another advertisement in her mails, she was about to move it to the bin before she read the lines that piqued her interest.

It was an advertisement of a wooden cabin, somewhere far from the city.

Scrolling through the details, she found everything necessary for her to know to make a decision.

It was at least 40 minutes away from her home. Surrounded by trees and a few other cabins but they were located at a far distance, providing a whole lot of privacy and silence. The place was rated well for its safety and the land was free from wild animals too.

"Should I?"

She mumbled to herself. Her pointer moved round and round over the number of the dealer and what felt like ages but was actually a minute, Samaira said 'let it be' only to copy the number and find herself in a conversation with the man handling the sales of the cabin.

According to Samaira's bank account, it was affordable. Biting her lips in anticipation, she closed her eyes when she heard her reply to the man's question regarding going ahead with it or not.