07. To kill a soaring bird

*****

*****

Quickly albeit with reluctance, Samaira walked away from Zaigham's penetrating gaze. Something in them made her feel as though he could read her secrets, he could see her scars and maybe he actually could- especially when he voiced his concern, soothing her soul as it had never been before.

Her mother had sent text after text, blowing her phone away with her numerous calls until she finally replied with just an 'okay'. Of course, she knew what her mother wanted from her, and to do so, she needed time to collect her thoughts.

Nervously dusting her dress even though it was all in place, Samaira patted her cheeks to cheer herself up, a small smile now on her face that was anything but authentic.

She had messaged her mom to pass on the address of the restaurant around the corner from her workplace. It was simple and cozy, just what she needed to breathe and let herself at ease.

She took a seat at the table her mother had reserved for the first meeting. Fidgeting with the watch band around her left wrist, she counted under her breath, hoping to find an excuse of 'he was unapologetically late' to give up on this first ridiculous step of the alliance.

"I'm so sorry!"

Samaira flinched when the slightly breathless sound interrupted her silent prayers. Frowning when the voice seemed far too recognizable, she looked up only to feel as if someone had stabbed her in the heart, and maybe, in some way, he had.

It was painful even to look at him.

And more so, when he casually pulled a chair placed right in front of her as though he hadn't done what he did.

Ijaz Chaudhary sat along with her at the same table, a carefree smile on his face like this was normal.

Like they were close enough to look past the little banters.

Like he hadn't insulted her emotions, her love and played along until he realized he was bored.

It took just one single blink for Samaira to collect her bag from the table and make her way out of the restaurant, leaving a bewildered Ijaz to contemplate what he had done wrong.

Her steps were quick as she waited for the damn signal to turn red for the cars and green for her, but luck had always been her enemy.

"Sam, hold up! We need to talk, please."

He all but pleaded, coming to stand beside her.

Samaira flinched again at the proximity, creating distance between them in an attempt to show him just how uncomfortable and discontent she was with being around him, and of course, he paid no heed to it.

After all, when had he cared about anyone apart from his feelings?

One was not wrong to love their selves more than others but that love shouldn't be cruelly selfish in a way to destroy someone in the name of fun.