[ CHP 1 : hell ]

"jake...!" my eyes widen as my body felt slight pressure from jake, who had just taken a bullet for me. "no!" I catch his body as it fell on mine, us falling to the ground in the process.

he.. he can't.

he can't go like this. thoughts filled with frustration flood my head, making it hurt for me to process everything that's happening. "jake..baby, please... open your eyes?" i tried calling out while shaking him, but he wouldn't move a single muscle.

i take his hand and press it on my cheek, staining his knuckles with my tears. "wake up, please. wake up..." more tears start to stream down my face.

"you...you can't go.. it's.. it's too soon."

i heard light footsteps go near me, but i didn't care. i don't need to spare a single glance to who it was. my head stayed low, still sobbing, while carrying the most precious thing in my life.

"sunghoon...i'm.. i'm sorry."

it was heeseung. i felt the sincerity in his voice but forgiving him or accepting his apology won't bring jake back. nothing will.

i'll be alone, for the rest of my life. again.

~

[ sunghoon pov ]

"sunghoon, will you smile please?" i earned a nudge on my elbow, making me jolt back to reality. "sorry, what?" i then heard snickers and whispers around me.

oh i forgot.

i'm in a meeting.

it's been awhile since the accident yet i haven't even regained myself. after isolating myself in the mansion for almost 2 months, heeseung approached me, along with someone named kim sunoo.

they tried to get me out of the house.

after like, another 2 months, they succeeded. i'm grateful for that, kinda.

heeseung tried offering me a job at their company, which i accepted. i did it for my mother who is currently at the hospital. i don't know what happened but the doctors said her whole body was too weak to even walk.

my life right now is almost rock bottom since then.

"sunghoon?"

i felt another nudge.

i shake my head again. ugh, i need to get my shit together.

"right— what was the question?"

"well.. there are no questions, we're waiting for you to set up your presentation for today."

i felt my cheek heat because of the embarrassment, my eyes landed on heeseung who was snickering. i rolled my eyes and subtly flipped him off before preparing my presentation.

~

time : 10:38 AM

"here, you need it."

heeseung hands me a sealed cup of coffee which i accepted then sat on the opposite seat to mine.

"my head's been in the clouds. it's annoying." i state, taking a sip of the coffee.