Cobalt

I was intrigued by America's quick comprehension. She didn't seem that way at first when we met at Vista Canyon. 

Then again, a lot had happened since that time. 

I was at loss at what to do. The worst happened when Japan finally came back and started to ask what I had done to end up on the media and in a public service announcement. We met when she knocked into me that morning as we were talking with America. 

"Zhong Guo!!" she screamed as she saw me. America sidestepped away, murmuring something about buying herself a drink. 

"What? What?" I looked around, making sure that nobody caught what she was saying. Luckily, nobody knew that 'Zhong Guo' was 'China'. "what's wrong?"

"Where even are you?" she asked. "I've been looking all over for you for days. Days! And then you show up on the news as an identified criminal! What is going on?" 

"Er...well you see Japan..." I looked around to see if anyone was listening to us. I lowered my voice and bent closer to her. "there's this problem I have, and it's very serious. It's a terribly long story, starting when Ba Ba died. So let's not get strung in the details, but the Mafia wants me."

"The who wants you?" she whispered back. "what's that got to do with Krasna-Giorno?"

"Everything," I said. "Krasna-Giorno is nothing but a huge mafia machine hiding under a corporate veil. They've threatened to kill me and America if we don't pay them millions. I don't know what to do, and I can't leave without endangering America."

"Who's that?" Japan looked around. "your new girlfriend?"

"I don't have time for a girlfriend!" I fumed. "I'm wanted, and she is too!"

"Sounds just like a classic wild west story," Japan pointed out. "I should write a book about you."

"Let's be practical, shall we?" I said dryly. "I don't have all day to argue. I try to not stay in one place for more than an hour." I already turned around to call for America when Japan grabbed my arm. 

"Hey...wait," she said so seriously that I faltered. "will...will you be alright?" 

"I'm always alright."

"No...I mean...will you be safe? It's dangerous out there." she frowned. "I don't want you to die."

"I won't die," I patted her shoulder. "I promise. What you should do is get out of here and don't speak to me again. I don't need you in danger as well."

"Okay," she looked hurt. "please be careful Zhong Guo...good luck."

"Thanks," I nodded. 

Although luck was what I needed, it may not change the situation if I don't have a plan. 

"Heelllooo," America sidled up to me, holding another bright, radioactive orange drink with fizz.  She started to drink it with a green plastic straw. "was that Japan?" 

"Yeah," 

"You looked worried," she commented. "but don't worry, if the Mafia really wanted her, they'd take her as bait."

I uneasily looked around at those who were listening in. "Keep your voice down, one." I commanded, marching her out of the coffee shop. "two, don't say such things. Its bad enough I am stressed. and three, let's go, you took too long." 

We took a long walk outside into the afternoon. We went through a park and then watched some koi in a pond. America thought it was funny to splash water in my face as I dozed off.