Vista

"Come on, Zhong Guo," Japan wheedled. "Why don't you want to go outside?" 

I ruffled the paper I was reading. "I just don't. It's too hot outside." It was the morning after the owners of Krasna-Giorno had arrived, and the city was in a deep running ecstasy. Last night, the fireworks outside couldn't even be blocked by the blackout curtains, and the crowds were ever screaming. The night left me sleepless, irritable, and scared. After a light breakfast of a fruit plate and oats, I was counting on slipping past Japan and finding a quiet spa somewhere around. Unfortunately, Japan had decided to book two tickets for a sightseeing tour out on the canyonlands outside of the city. I declined her offer as soon as she put it up.

"No," I kept saying. "I hate tour groups."

Japan put her hands on her hips. "Well, what are you going to do all day? Mope around in the room?"

"Exactly," 

"That's not a vacation," she pointed out. "You're not enjoying yourself."

"Who says I'm not?"

"I am." she tugged the paper out of my hands. "Please, Zhong Guo. I'd like you to come. It'll be so much fun. And I'll buy you a T-Shirt." she added persuasively. 

I rolled my eyes. I guess I have to go. "Who can say no to that?" I stood up. She beamed in response and set to make my outfit. After a few minutes, she gave me a pair of khaki shorts, a yellow cotton shirt, and a tan wide brim hat. Stuffing a water bottle into her purple tote bag, she ushered us out into the hallway. 

"The tour person said that we'll be going out to some canyonland sights," she flipped through a brochure as we stepped into the lift and descended. "There's some sort of unnatural occurrence in the area which helps stimulate rock erosion."

"And why do we need to see these sights?" 

"They're wonders of the world!" she led the way down the busy lobby and out onto the street. No one paid much attention to us, but I felt as if I was being watched in some way. I quickly found six or more concealed cameras around the lobby. Were hotels even allowed to place cameras here? I fleetingly wondered if they had the right to insert cameras in rooms. 

Japan didn't let me ponder longer and pushed me out of the double doors. "Less thinking, more doing," she commanded. We exited the metropolis into what I would call the border between two worlds. On one side was the glittery city, on the other, desolate wasteland. A huge blue bus with tinted windows was waiting on a road. Milling around were people of different ages, and a sporty looking man with a clipboard was talking with a young woman in jean shorts. 

"That's the tour guide," Japan pointed. "I don't remember his name." She flipped through her guidebook. "I thought it was supposed to be someone named Mauritania..."

We walked up to him, waiting until he finished his conversation with the woman. I caught snippets of it, only partially paying attention to Japan's remarks.

"Well, this is just a temporary job," The man said. "I don't usually facilitate tours."

"Oh, who does?" the woman asked.

"A girl named Mauritania," He explained. "I am a lower manager at Krasna-Giorno. But unfortunately, today Mauritania is sick, so I must take her place."

"Okay, thanks!" she skipped off. 

"What a busybody," Japan sniffed. She followed the woman with her gaze, not noticing that the guide was tapping his foot on the sandy ground, waiting for us. 

"Um, we're here for a tour," I addressed the man.

"What tour?" He asked sharply. I was momentarily fazed by his rudeness.