9: Hobbies

I wasn't really sure what to do for this one, and it took me a while to work out what "hobbies" is in my first language, and I was also starting my new book about the Wundersmiths, so it's been a while since I updated this. Sorry about that!

Jupiter North didn't have a hobby. Not many people in Wunsoc did, unless it was related to their knack. As a new member of the Wundrous Society, he had been teased for being a witness, but he'd held his head high and taken up tap dancing. A year later, he quit his tap-dancing class.

When Jupiter graduated from junior to senior scholar, his scholar mistress, Murgatroid had suggested to him to take up baking. So, he did, but that didn't last long either.

In fact, it wasn't until just a few years before his nephew, Jack was born, that he started doing something he really liked, but it wasn't a hobby. It was his job.

From the moment he'd set foot in the hotel Deucalion, he'd loved it. The rooms, once grand and beautiful, were crumbling and dusty, the rooftop had an infestation of killer wasps, and the basement was a disused Wunderground station with the tunnel blocked up at both sides of the platform, but he'd known from the moment that he saw it that it had great potential. 

With the help of his friend and fellow unit member, Dame Chanda Kali, Jupiter repaired the Hotel. Within months, people were clamouring for the Hotel Deucalion to open its doors, so Jupiter closed off the south wing, hired staff and let his other friend from the Society trials, but who hadn't made it in, to plan a grand opening party.

And years later, when Jupiter rescued a little girl from her own "curse", people said that she was just another of his hobbies, but Jupiter didn't have hobbies. Jupiter had love. Jupiter did what he liked and what he was good at. And this was doing his absolute best to please people.

Not quite my usual dramatic and exciting plot line, sorry. I didn't know what to do for this. The next one will be better, I promise.