11: Nevermoorian Architecture

I'm catching up! I'll be on track soon, but I really need to make sure this doesn't turn into Mog-December.

The arches of The Nevermoor Grand Cathedral soared higher than Laure Milé could have ever imagined, and the brickwork was exquisite and perfect. Glittering golden bricks shimmered amongst all the sandstone ones, giving the magnificent building a magical effect when the sun was at its zenith.

The statues by the double oak doors were towering angles with bodies of quartz and wings of gold, and they even had haloes that were held above their bent heads by Wunder.

Laure's first steps into the extraordinary cathedral were like a dream come true. Beautiful glazed wooden bookshelves held up many, many ancient books in the titanic library. Stained glass windows stretched from floor to ceiling in every available space, and the fantastic effect was the light in the cathedral was of many, many different colours and patterns.

Every bench in the church area (I don't know what the name for this bit of a cathedral is in English) was polished to a shine, and there wasn't an imperfection to be seen. Prayer books and bibles rested at many intervals, and the cushions that lined the pews were embroidered in extraordinary detail and looked extremely comfortable.

Laure sang a few bars of her favourite song, and her melodic voice echoed beautifully back to her. Being an atheist, Laure had spent little time in churches and cathedrals, but they had always had a special place in her heart, for the magnificent way they were designed, built and decorated.

Some people found cathedrals spooky, and many said that they were haunted, but to Laure they were a place of joy and release. Music sprang from her mouth as she danced through the pews, laughing and singing with glee.

It was at magical times like these that Laure really felt happy. The rules and regulations of everyday life tied her down, but here, on her own in a grand cathedral with only her own voice, she was free. 

Long, wavy, deep brown hair cascaded like a waterfall down to her waist, and despite her short height, she was slim and had a large personality to make up for her height. Laure looked onto her future with a light heart, and never thought back to her past.

With a bounce in her step, and happiness in her heart, Laure bounded out of the cathedral doors to sketch the exterior. Her notebook, designed and painstakingly stitched and glued together by herself, was just right for her, and had detailed sketches of all her favourite architecture in Nevermoor. 

With a smile, Laure finished off her sketch and packed her notebook away, but not before making her mark at the entrance to the cathedral. She carefully folded a piece of paper with her newest song on it into a tiny square and wedged it into one of the angle's quartz hands. 

Then, without even a backward glance, Laure skipped happily into her future.