15: Nocturne

I just loved the quote in the picture. My favourite ever book, an English one, is called Song of the Far Isles (I cannot recommend it enough!) and it was really what got me into music, especially the particularly beautiful or sad classical pieces, and the book is written in such a beautiful way, sort of adventure, but if you look closely enough, there's meaning behind the words. Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, as they say, but if you like music (any kind, really) or adventure, or reading, then I would strongly suggest reading it.

Nocturne

Music is everywhere, if we listen. Even in the most silent of spaces, there is music. Some people feel awkward, if they cannot hear anything, but that is because they haven't learnt to listen. Not properly.

My bare feet, quiet on the smooth floor, send the tiniest of noises pulsing around the room, bouncing back to me off the walls, engraved with written music in all shapes and forms, with no visible end or beginning. It curves round the circular room, sweeping over the door and swirling into eddies and whirlpools of gold-painted lines, notes and numbers that set it apart from the darkest of marble that is the walls, curving up into the marble dome that stretches up, up, up to finish off the massive room.

There is no light in the space, but somehow it is still well lit, or at least, well enough to clearly see the notes. This was my Wundrous act, all those years ago. Being mute, I could not sing, and so instead of my voice, I learnt to play music to summon Wunder. I can play all sorts of instruments, almost every one, and it comes naturally to me. 

Many people speak too much to listen, but for those who cannot speak, listening is our strongest quality. My favourite instrument is between the violin and the piano, and while I play piano wherever there is one, I always carry my violin with me. It's just practical. I need it, always. Slipping the case from my shoulders, I leave it in a compartment in the wall that I created for this very purpose, and sit down on the stone chair directly in the center of the room. Resting the violin on my shoulder, I slide my bow across it, and begin to play.

Music fills every part of the room, golden light seeping in from nowhere, as every singe note echoes around the room, creating perfect harmony with one another. There are truly no words to describe the effect of music on the human soul. It can uplift, calm, anger and sorrow even the most emotionless person, and everyone has a different taste. No piece of music is exactly the same, like a zebra and it's stripes, or the leaves from a tree. Just like no two people are alike, nor are any two songs, however similar they are.

The beauty of music is in every note, every beat, every motion. Every breath we take, every step anyone has ever walked. It all creates it's very own music, and I love it. I close my eyes, and let my music swell until it surrounds me, and then I simply let go and fall into the joy of living and the love that true music can bring.