Chapter 19- Pettiness and Larger Purposes (or lack thereof)

The doors of the crowded train opened and Kayleigh was practically lifted off the Northern Line. She tried to make herself as small as possible as the people around her rushed about their business, zipping off in every direction while she stood unnaturally still. The underground station seemed to be closing in on her with every passing second, but finally, the tremulous sea of shirts and hats parted, and Kayleigh was relieved to see a particularly handsome man waiting for her with a breath-taking smile splitting his angular face.

Jack Monroe stuck out like a sore thumb in his crisp, white shirt and dark dress pants, and Kayleigh couldn't hold back the smile tantalizing her mouth. He looked like a brand-new Lamborghini in a used car yard.

"Hello," she greeted as she walked towards him. "You didn't have to come all the way down here. I would've found my way."

The corners of his mouth drooped slightly as he reached for her hand and pulled her closer. "You don't like flowers or gifts or big gestures and I respect that. But at least let me greet you at the underground as they do in those old-timey movies."

Kayleigh felt the twinkle in his eyes diffuse all remnants of anger towards Marcus Burrows. She let the irresistible charm of the man in front of her work its way through her and the world became slightly rosier.

"Alright," she sighed finally. "I'm sorry. What if I pretend I was away and we've been waiting to see each other for months?"

Jack rewarded her with his smooth, soul-soothing laugh. "Oh, Ms Moore, if that were the case, I'd be here with two dozen roses and a big, old sign to welcome you and there would be nothing you can do about it."

His cheesy quips no longer caught her off-guard, but a slight blush tinged Kay's cheeks nonetheless when Jack kissed her forehead softly. When he pulled back, he observed her for a long time, a slight wince visible in his expression.

"Too much?" he asked furrowing his brows adorably.

Kayleigh crinkled her nose back at him. "Just a tad."

"Darn it. I'll find the right balance, I promise," he winked. "Come on. Lunch awaits!"

He slung an arm around Kay's shoulders and together they climbed onto the busy street. They walked straight to Camden Market where Kayleigh's eyes shone with excitement as they wandered around the different food stalls and artisan shops. They bought dim sum, fries and sweets and ate as they strolled.

"Have you never been here before?" Jack asked an overly-excited Kayleigh who had just purchased an overpriced Jim Morrison t-shirt.

"No," she answered swinging her bag like a little girl. "I've actually never been out of Southwold. London is so weird, though. How do you call this a market? Everything is more expensive than from the shops!"

A disbelieving laugh escaped his lips. Jack stopped walking and turned Kayleigh so that she was facing him. "You are incredible, do you know that? I can't believe you just packed up your things and decided to take on the craziest city in the world all by yourself. I am constantly in awe of you, Kayleigh Moore."

Kayleigh stood frozen, not knowing what to say. It wasn't exactly like that and his praise made her feel like a fraud. "That is too much!" she accused poking a finger into his chest, referring to their earlier banter. "It's not that crazy, it wasn't an overnight decision and Southwold can be very suffocating. Honestly, was more like running away than anything else."

"I don't believe that. You can't run away from anything." 

He moved in closer but before their lips touched, Jack's phone rang in his jacket pocket. He hung his head in disappointment and held out an apologetic hand to her before taking the call.