Chapter 35 - Back to Basics

The sky in Southwold was grey and glorious. The clouds formed a large, cotton canopy that hung low over the small brick houses. Yearning for the crisp, salty breeze that Kayleigh always associated with home, she hopped out of the car before Marcus had even turned off the engine.

The cry of the seagulls in the distance, the church bells indicating the start of Sunday mass, echoed in Kay's ears as she inhaled deeply. She waited for the familiarity to engulf her and wrap her up in a blanket of safety. Maybe finally, after being away for so long, the simplicity and quiet of the sleepy town would offer her comfort instead of impatience and restlessness. But the feeling never came. The streets were empty save for a few stray leaves whirling in the wind and the unease that came with expectation filled her lungs.

"Wow! Was it always so eerie?"

Kayleigh frowned at the large man who came around to stand beside her. The scowl on his lips could easily be mistaken for an arrogant sneer. The sadness in his eyes made him seem distant and cold. But Kayleigh knew better. He looked just as she felt. This town was too small for them.

"You haven't visited in six years, Marcus. I don't think it's the place that's changed."

Only, Marcus had every right to feel out of place. She had been away for less than a month, yet the place almost felt foreign. The same but different.

She walked up to her front door, her hands going instinctively to her pockets before remembering she didn't bring her key. She turned instinctively towards her brother but quickly decided against asking him for his key.

Leon was tailing Rosemary with desperation in his eyes as she struggled to get her suitcase out of Marcus's boot.

"Come on, Rosie, you can't just ignore me," he begged.

But the determination on the girl's face was clear. "I told you, I don't want to talk about it, Leon!"

She threw her backpack over her shoulder and with a final tug, her large suitcase fell to the ground.

"Let me help you!"

They both crouched down over the suitcase and grabbed its handle to set it upright. But as they pulled in opposite directions, Rosemary fell forwards. Leon tried to break her fall and their heads banged together causing Leon's glasses to fall to the floor. Rosemary cursed loudly rubbing her forehead.

"You know what? Just leave the damn thing here. I'll ask Dad to pick it up later."

Kayleigh wondered if she was the only one to hear the break in the girl's voice.

"It's okay. I can bring it to you, Nicholson. Don't have anywhere else to be," Marcus mumbled gently. He picked up the suitcase with one hand and placed it back into his SUV.

The tension between Rosemary and Leon was almost visible. So much so, that Kayleigh felt guilty watching. Rosemary clearly wanted to get out of there fast, and Leon... Leon was crushed. He couldn't for the life of him understand what was going on and Kayleigh knew how much he hated not being in control. She rang her parents' doorbell with very little hope, knowing they were both probably at church.

"Rosie-"

"I'll see you later," she replied before the boy could say anything else. "Thanks for the ride, Burrows."

Then, she hopped onto her bike which had been resting against their fence and peddled quickly down the street without even saying goodbye to Kayleigh.

Leon stared back after her, mouth hanging open. Kayleigh counted five full seconds before he came to his senses and chased after her.