Chapter 20 - Just Like Old Times

Kayleigh blinked at her phone several times, unable to believe what she was looking at. But there was no mistaking the dark green walls and the white window overlooking the yellow-green grass of their ever-struggling garden.

"Rosemary, are you in my brother's room?" she asked the bespectacled girl smiling enthusiastically at her from her screen.

"Yes," Rosemary confirmed shamelessly. "Leon's not here, though. He's having a shower so we have a few minutes. Come on, tell me everything!"

Kayleigh eyed the quirky girl as her words sank in. "Is there something I should know?" she asked finally.

Kayleigh had been suspicious of the newfound friendship between her brother and her friend ever since their first video call. It wasn't that she minded them spending time together, but it just didn't make sense in her head. Rosemary Nicholson was eccentric, to say the least, and her brother was popular, loveable and the star-of-the-town. So Kayleigh couldn't imagine a scenario where he would willingly invite her up to his room.

A hint of confusion tainted Rosemary's usually innocent, rather blank-looking face. "Not that I know of. Why?"

"Because you're in my brother's room!" Kayleigh exclaimed as though that should have been explanation enough. But Rosemary just started back cluelessly. "The only people allowed in my brother's room were Marcus Burrows and me if I knock and wait for permission."

Rosemary's face split into a wide grin, understanding finally making its way into her brain. "Well, you're not here, so I guess I inherited your access rights. Or Marcus's."

It was very unlikely that Rosemary would lie or keep the truth from her purposely, but Kayleigh still couldn't connect the dots. "But, three weeks ago, you and my brother were from different worlds. What the heck happened?"

Rosemary nodded in agreement as her fingers started to play with a tiny pimple below her chin. "Yes. It's funny, isn't it? On the day you left, I was at the pier and he came to sit next to me. I think he came there because he was secretly missing you but he won't admit it. Anyway, he asked if I was alright and that I'm free to come over anytime whenever I'm feeling lonely."

Kayleigh felt a tug in her chest. She and Rosemary weren't exactly close, but ever since Marcus Burrows left her high and dry, she was the only person whose company she tolerated, apart from her brother's. And her brother wasn't exactly around after their trio had lost one of its founding pillars. She was glad he was at least there for Rosemary, though. The girl wasn't the type to mind loneliness, but she knew she'd be bored over the summer.

"I'm sorry I'm not there, Rosemary," Kayleigh said sadly. "I'll try to call you more often."

But the girl merely shrugged, the smile on her face unwavering. "Don't worry about it. You're out there living for us both. Now, talk to me about Marcus Burrows before Leon comes back!"

Kayleigh's heart rate doubled and her guard automatically went up. "There's nothing to talk about," she said crossing her arms over her chest. Naturally, Rosemary did not believe a word of it.

"Kayleigh," she repeated patiently, "tell me about Marcus Burrows before Leon comes back!"

The two girls had a virtual staring contest that lasted around eight seconds before Kayleigh sighed in defeat. "Promise me you won't freak out," she said warily.

Rosemary held out a finger, pretending she heard something. "Kay, I think the water stopped running."

"Okay, okay." Kay heaved a great sigh and said, "You know when I said I bumped into him on my first night in London? Well... we slept together."