Of All The Gin Joints

Third Person Pov

It was one of the more rowdy nights at Gobber's Bar and Casino. Hiccup Haddock, a trim, handsome young man, was serving up drinks at the bar when it happened.

Snotlout, one of the workers, walked onto the stage not ten feet away from Hiccup and announced loudly, "Ladies and gents, I present to you tonight's entertainment!" Hiccup rolled his green eyes and thought to himself, What two bit act has Snotlout cooked up this time? "Here she is, folks! The lovely Miss Merida Dunbroch!"

Hiccup froze for a moment then whirled around to watch the curtain go up and a young woman step out. Her fiery red hair contrasted drastically with the slim black dress that hugged her curves and made her blue eyes pop. No, she's still in Scotland. This is a mistake. He denied, but his eyes were still glued to Miss Dunbroch, who started to sing.

"You smiled when we parted,
It hurt me somehow,
I thought there was nothing worthwhile.
The tables are turning,
And you're crying now,
While I am just learning to smile.

Who's sorry now?
Who's sorry now?
Who's heart is aching for breaking each vow?
Who's sad and blue?
Who's crying too?
Just like I cried over you.
Right to the end,
Just like a friend,
I tried to warn you somehow.
You had your way,
Now you must pay;
I'm glad that you're sorry now!"

Her voice carried over the crowd, strong and sweet. But when she saw Hiccup, she couldn't move or sing for a moment. Then she just walked off stage and outside, and into the alleyway. But he was right behind her, every step of the way.

"Merida!" He shouted, grabbing her arm. "What are you doing here?!" "I don't know, having some freedom? What were you doing in there?" She yelled back at him, yanking her arm away. "What?" Hiccup was confused and he shook his head, allowing his auburn hair to fall into his face. Merida poked his well muscled torso to accentuate every sentence.

"You used to be the most accomplished blacksmith in all of Scotland. And now, you tend bar at a casino." "Well, some people need to have a job and personally, bus boy doesn't exactly sound that good." He said sarcastically, throwing his hands in the air. "But you, a singer in a casino? Come on, Mer! Let's examine the possibilities here. Anything could have happened to you after the first encore." She knew what he meant, and she didn't want to think about it. "Hiccup. Look at us. We let each other go a year ago. And-"

"Here we are, arguing about each other's lives." Hiccup finished, running his fingers through his hair. They had always had a thing about knowing each other's thoughts. "Which means we haven't let go yet."

They stared at each other for a moment, taking in every little detail.

To Hiccup, she was the most beautiful girl in the history of the world. A streetlight sent it's dim golden light down on her red locks, turning them into flame. And those eyes! Why did she have to have those electric blue eyes? Her voice was already pure torture to him.

To Merida, his strong, lean body never looked more appealing. Why was it that this man had effects on her that no other did? Maybe it was his auburn hair, the constant bed head that made her fingers want to run through it. Or it could those eyes. Green was a understatement when it came to his eyes, that sparked with determination and sarcasm.

But they knew it wouldn't work. Merida stuck out her hand for Hiccup to shake. And he took it, but when she started to pull away, he pulled her back into himself and allowed his mouth to connect with hers. And for a moment, they forgot how to breathe. They had also forgotten how their lips had fit perfectly together and were practically impossible to separate.

When they finally broke apart, he searched her face and smirked. "Of all the gin joints, of all the towns and all the world, you had to waltz into mine." She smiled back at him, playing with a piece of his ruffled hair. "Funny how that works sometimes." "Isn't it though." He kissed her again, arms wrapping around her waist.

That night was one they'd never forget, especially for what happened next. Well, I'll leave that up to you to imagine.