Memories

Jack's Pov

Why do I have to be so stupid?! I thought to myself, as I sat caged in Pitch's lair. Before I got slammed in a cage like a canary, I was outside playing with Jamie and Sophie. Pitch had used.......... something to make me think I had heard someone in trouble and, you know, since I'm such a softie, I ran after it. And had fallen into his perfect little trap. Yeah, pretty stupid.

At least Pitch, being the nice guy that he is, gave me a rock to mess around with. Yay. I was pretty ticked so I just closed my eyes and threw it behind me.

"Ow! Hey, watch it!" I turned around and looked down. There was a girl down there, all chained up with a gag around her neck. "Who are you?" I asked. And she looked up.

I felt like North's sleigh just ran over me. She was beautiful. Wait, that's an understatement. Her brown hair was cut short and ragged and her green eyes looked right into me. Her dark purple windbreaker and jeans gave her the 'rebellious innocent' look. She had no shoes like me. Weird.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I called down to her. She seemed to finally see me right then and her eyes went wide.

"No." She said. Ok, now I was confused.

"Sorry?"

"No, no!" She was screaming as she backed up against the wall behind her. "Stay away from me!" What did I ever do to her?!

"Jack, are you upsetting my guest?" Pitch asked, stepping into the room. He shook his head, gold eyes gleaming with amusement. "I thought you had better manners than that."

"And I thought you remembered that I have no manners." I retorted.

"Touche. But I bet you want to know why you're here."

"Enlighten me." Yep, just love spreading my sarcasm around.

He strutted over to the creeped out girl. "It's simply a matter of handing you a nice, warm plate of revange."

"It's revenge and it's best served cold."

"But it becomes red hot in the oven of darkness!"

"You do know that makes no sense, right?" I pointed out helpfully. Pitch grabbed the girl and rose up to my cage door with her on a pillar of black sand. After vaporizing her chains, he swung open my door and threw her in. We kind of collided. Can you say awkward?

"Give them back." He ordered her, and he just left. The girl was crying so hard that her whole body was shivering. But still, she straightened herself out and looked me dead in the eye. They were so green and bright, but I could see behind them was fear and sadness, maybe even heartbreak.

"I'm sorry." She said, taking my hand. Her fingers were scorching against my cold skin.

" Dancing bears, painted wings,
Things I almost remember,
And a song someone sings,
Once upon a December.

Someone holds me safe and warm,
Horses prance through a silver storm,
Figures dancing gracefully,
Across my memory."

As she sang, I saw pictures zooming in my mind.

A girl with impossibly long blond hair.

Sitting by a fire, telling secrets to each other.

A tower.

Flying with her in my arms.

Paintings covering walls.

Dancing in a street.

Lanterns.

A kiss. Or three.

Getting her taken away from me.

"Someone holds me safe and warm,
Horses prance through a silver storm,
Figures dancing gracefully,
Across my memory.

Far away, long ago,
Glowing dim as an ember,
Things my heart used to know,
Things I yearn to remember.

And a song someone sings,
Once upon a December."

The memories continued to flood my mind after she stopped singing. An old woman stabbing me. The girl singing a song about flowers. Her golden hair glowing. And then.....

"Don't do this, Rapunzel." I was holding onto her hands for all they were worth. "Please." She looked at me sadly, tears brimming in her eyes.
"I wish that you didn't have to feel all this pain. It's not supposed to be this hard, this sad."
"Whatever you're doing, don't. Please, Punzie." I cupped her cheek, feeling her warmth under my hand. She just pulled away.
"I wish that you never met me." My eyes shot open. Now I knew what she was going to do.

"No, please, don't take them away. Every second with you.......Rapunzel. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have remembered how to trust, how to love. I don't want to forget any of that." A short, brown chunk of hair stuck out from behind her neck and I ran my fingers through her hair, playing with that one little piece.
"I have to. You don't deserve this."

"Rapunzel!"

I snapped back into the present. The girl in front of me sighed. "So you remember now." I just stared at her. Everything made sense in a weird way. I leaned forward and pressed my lips onto hers, softly. It took a while but she started moving her lips against mine. Ever heard the phrase 'heaven on earth'? Well, this was it.

"I really hate how good a kisser you are." She told me, still pressing her lips against mine. I just smiled and held her closer. "Don't ever leave me again." I murmured into her hair.

"Touching scene. Unfortunately, your time together is up." Pitch was back, his eyes sparking with malice. He threw open the cage door and grabbed Rapunzel. "No! Don't hurt her!" I yelled, grabbing my staff. He was so busy with his plot of revange that he forgot to disarm me. In a flash, he was a Pitch-sicle. And considering that we were about fifteen feet off the ground, Punz had fallen a while before I could catch her.

"Sorry, forgot that you couldn't fly." I apologized, catching her quite neatly in my arms. She rolled her eyes dramatically. "How about, next time I get my memories back and you fall a dozen feet, screaming like a girl?" I was so glad to have her back.

Heya, bad kitties! Hope you like this one. Ok, next I'm finally completing The Princesses' Choice (This is the Merricup part, if you la-la-landers have forgotten already.) then I'm going back into my Big Four Through History TRIPLE WHAMMY! Yeah, I'm pretty awesome. See ya soon, bad kitties! Pk 45.