Chapter 3

That late afternoon, the atmosphere in the living room was harmonious. The two families sat facing each other. They were profusely trying to please one another. Shreya sat to the side silently. Every now and then, she looked at the guy's face.

After some time, they finally started talking about him and her. She listened keenly.

His name was Lakshya. He was working in the software field. He was a fun loving person, his mother claimed.

Then her father told them how obedient and well mannered she was. She frowned, feeling slightly guilty.

Although she was not a troublemaker, she was none of those. She showed some resistance every now and then. In each of those instances, her father called her rebellious and that she had to learn a lot to fit in with the people around her. Or, life would be difficult and it would teach her the lesson she deserved.

For a moment, she turned her head to look at him. Although she did not agree with him, she was a defiant woman according to him. What he was doing now was lying, especially since he always claimed to be the most truthful person unlike her mother and herself.

It definitely made her feel guilty, just like in every other of these meetings.

She hoped her hair would tell the real story. After all, she did not want to be a liar like her father or make an innocent guy expect something else.

After some time, the potential couple was asked to speak in private and Lalitha led the two into the guest room.

They occupied the 2 one person sofas.

Shreya smiled at Lakshya, planning to subtly extract some answers to assess and score him.

However, when Lakshya caught her eyes, he looked elsewhere with a little frown.

She sighed softly to herself. He was handsome.

"Do you have any hobbies?" she asked, smiling a little less.

Lakshya whipped his head and looked back at her. All he felt was a crisis. He was too young for this. His 25th birthday was still a week away. None of his friends were even remotely thinking of marriage.

He should not be dealing with this matchmaking either. He had a girlfriend. His family was okay with her too. But there was one catch. They wanted him to marry soon.

They had a very genuine yet silly reason for it too. His father got married at 34, which his grandfather was mad about. To this day, his dad was still trying to make him talk to him. So now, to reconcile with his grandfather, his father sweet talked him into marrying in the next half year.

As he listened to his father's speech, filial affection coursed through his veins. He went straight to Moksha and proposed marriage.

He was still sorry to her about the way he acted. He should have left the topic when she laughed it off thinking it was just a joke.

But he pressed on. He could not forget her face at that time. She looked so unsure. He knew she was not ready. She was fresh out of college and had just completed her probation.

He cleared off his thoughts and cheered himself up. He had a dinner date with Moksha later in the evening. He was just going to get through this meeting and be done.

"Hobbies, you asked, right? Strum the guitar, or hit the road," he said to Shreya.

Shreya nodded and went silent.

She then started fiddling her fingers. Lakshya had a feeling the next thing they would talk about would be something serious.

"I don't want to get married."