Chapter 14

Shreya was in a low mood since Shreekant left. Zahra knew the reason and she commented that she never saw siblings with such an age gap have such a tight bond. She rambled on about her relationship with her younger and older siblings who were also spread apart in their ages.

One of those days, work ended sooner as it was a group day off. Shreya again did not want to head home, especially not when the clock was yet to strike 4.

"You!" Zahra was frustrated. "Let's make this competition even, okay? If you keep this up, you'll get all the brownie points!"

"Shut up and leave." Shreya's mood was really bad.

"Sheesh, I shut up, alright. Please go back soon."

Shreya stood and packed up to leave suddenly. She left before Zahra, leaving her dumbfounded.

Shreya walked straight to the car and told the driver she would walk around and shop a little. Then she would call him. With much bravery, she added, "You don't have to tell these details to my father."

It was a rather dangerous move, especially since she had no legitimate reason to be roaming around and her decision was on a whim. There was no one younger than her at home, so if her father found out and became upset, she would accept all the scolding. Shreekant may not be affected, but it had always been in her instinct to keep things peaceful for his sake.

She left her lunch bag in the car and proceeded on her way.

She pulled out her phone and speed dialled her brother.

Shreekant was walking out of the class after everyone did. Avoiding his classmates seemed to be the only solution to not bother himself with the meaningful gazes he received every time.

"Shreya!"

"It has been three days. Don't you know to call? Do you think messages will be enough?"

Shreekant was in a good mood from receiving his sister's call, and also from hearing her agitated tone. "Didn't I tell you to call me whenever you feel like?"

"How is everything?"

"It's amazing! Are you at the lab?" Shreekant was never going to let her know and be worried. After all, he could take care of his problems.

"No. I am on a stroll," she said softly.

"What are you doing? Are your classes done?"

"Yeah, just done." Shreekant told her more about his new daily routine, leaving out the unnecessary.

When they spoke for 40 minutes, they said their goodbyes.

Shreya was now holding a packet of curd. She dropped her phone into her bag and crouched down near a kitten. It was the first time she saw this one. It was clearly a juvenile, unafraid of a human it had never seen before. She wondered if it could tear open the plastic packaging.

After some thought, Shreya scoured the road and pavements for a nice big leaf. She was about to give up. She stood up to stretch a bit and caught sight of something.

A deep red almond leaf twirled in the wind as it slowly descended.

Shreya picked it up and it was perfectly curved. She found some stones and put them on either side of the leaf lest it should topple. She cut open the packet and emptied the curd into the leaf.

Satisfied, she gestured for the kitten to come and get the food. At first it looked at her with big, innocent eyes. But with Shreya's gestures it finally seemed to understand. It slowly came closer, one step at a time.

Then it meowed. Shreya meowed back as she took a step back. Yeah, yeah, that's right. It's all yours, she thought.

Soon the little animal finished half of the curd before slowing its pace.