Part 14

Estella Hicks:

I sobbed into my arm, wandering aimlessly. I didn't care where I ended up anymore, or who it ended up being that killed me. I deserved to die after everything I did. For the first day, the day they ditched me, I only focused on following the road back as far as I could. I knew no one would take me in...no packs at least. So I was searching for the one person I knew I could rely on to help protect me.

Well, I didn't exactly know anymore. Josie was the only person left that I had at least trusted at one point. I really had a way with people – with making them hate me in specific. I knew why but I didn't find the need to dwell on it further. Without Daniel I was completely lost, I'm surprised I made it this long without someone figuring it out.

I tripped over a fallen log and hit my head, feeling it split open and making me yelp in surprise and pain. I sat up, leaning against the log. I put my hand to my head, feeling the blood before I saw it. I felt myself start getting dizzy, the longer I stared at it. That is my blood. I wiped my hand on my pants, trying to ignore the feeling of it dripping down the bridge of my nose and down the side to my upper lip. I licked my lips, regretting it as soon as I tasted the blood.

"What would a girl like you be doing all the way out in a place like this without your mate?" I jumped at the male voice. I scooted away from the tall man.

He had a tribal tattoo on his forehead. He had dark brown eyes and similar looking hair. He wasn't very tall, maybe 5'9 at most. His chin was covered with scruff. He was only wearing pants, showing his very distracting, defined chest and arms. This boy was by no means scrawny or out of shape.

I swallowed hard as he took a step forwards. He must have seen the terror in my eyes or something because he froze. He put his hands up in surrender.

"I'm not going to hurt you. You look a little lost. I only want to help. Not to mention that the scratch on your forehead seems pretty deep," his cool, deep voice made me shiver. He must have assumed I was just cold because he offered, "My cabin is warm." I managed a small smile and nodded in agreement. A grin broke out onto his face.

He reached forwards, taking my hand and pulling me up easily. He wrapped one arm around my waist, helping to hold myself up.

He said, "Careful now, your ankle looks like it twisted when you fell. It will hurt to step on." I nodded slightly, trying to hop, with his help towards his cabin which I could now see about an eighth of a mile ahead. After the second time I hopped he stopped to chuckle.

I growled, "Quit laughing at me! I don't like pain." Without warning he tucked his arm under my legs and lifted me effortlessly. I gasped in surprise. Yeah, there was no way in hell that he wasn't muscular. I could feel them flexing as he walked and damn was I enjoying it.

"Better, my woodland princess?"

I snorted a laugh, "Woodland princess?"

He nodded, not seeming at all bothered by it, "I found you in the woods and you seem like a princess to me. Also, you have given me no better name to call you."

"You first," I said smoothly.

He smiled at me, "My name is Alistair Night."

"Oh, well you must be my knight in shining armor than I suppose." The corner of his lips curved up slightly. "My name's Estella Hicks."

He nodded, "Woodland Princess it is." I raised a brow.

"But I told you my name," I grumbled.

He nodded, "You did, however, I said you haven't given me a better name to call you. I particularly like Woodland Princess too so I doubt you will." He walked around the edge of the house, passed some half split logs, and up the porch.