The Photograph

It started with the TV announcement, then the letter stating I was eligible to compete in the Queenceps. My name is Silvia, Silvia Ross Vale, and I was going to do something with my life before the Queenceps. I was going to be a crafter, someone who uses smarts and their own hands to create(hence the name) something amazing. But now it looks like I am going to sit in a palace and look pretty for 9 our 14 months. My family will get paid money for me being in the Queenceps so I quess that's good, also the prize for winning is also amazing but I don't want it. And now it's time for my picture. I'm finally to the front I go up to the stool and sit down.

"Alright little missy" the photographer said." Smile"

I hate being called little, and missy, this guy just used both in the same sentence. But I force a smile for my mothers sake, over the years I've gotten good at fake smiles. We are a working class family, me my mother, my dad, and my little sister Angie who is only just turned 10 last week, she thinks it is amazing that I have the chance to live in a palace and were expensive things. The light flashes, it's over.

"Next" he calls loudly.

I jump gracefully off the stool and join my mother to head home. It doesn't take long, we are both fast walkers.

"You were beautiful" she says.

"Thank you" I responded.

Everyone says I got the best things from both my parents, but I say it's only in looks. My thick auburn hair from my mother, my electric blue eyes from by father, high cheek bones from mother, and tan skin from dad. But despite my looks I am a rather prickly person when you first meet me and even a little bit after you get to know me. We are home, finally. Mom goes in and puts the groceries away. I head up to my room but my little sister Angie stops me.

"Did you look pretty, will you be chosen, how did it go, what were the other girls like?"She says in about ten seconds.

"Yes I looked alright, I don't know if I'll be chosen, it went fine, I don't know what the other girls were like."I answered patiently.

She sighed, and skipped back to her room and I headed to mine. I had a neat yet messy room with a hand loom and sewing kit, along with other ods and ends. My thoughts were interrupted by my mom calling me down to help make dinner.