𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐲𝐨𝐫𝐤

˗ˏˋ matthew 'ˎ˗

i'd lost noa. we had stopped at a rest area just outside of new york city, and she had gone inside to use the restroom. i swore i didn't need to, that i would make it to the hotel. i was wrong.

inside the rest area, people crowded around the fast food counters and lines formed outside the bathrooms. i couldn't spot her anywhere.

matthew
i'm inside the rest stop
i don't see you anywhere
6:44 pm

noa ‎☺︎
i'm in the auntie anne's
line. i wanna grab some
cinnamon pretzels before
we leave. i'm starving.
6:45 pm

matthew
i'm heading that way.
don't pay yet i might want
something!!
6:45 pm

noa ‎☺︎
hurry up! i'm next in line
6:46 pm

i quickly made my way over to the auntie anne's stand, seeing a short, brown haired girl near the front of the line. thank god i was able to find a familiar face in this place.

"sorry, was a last minute decision," she smiled, gesturing towards the snack counter. i waved her off.

"it's fine, just didn't want you to get kidnapped in the parking lot or something," i clarify, my eyes scanning over the menu. chris, nick, and i always used to get auntie anne's at the mall. we'd window shop for hours and celebrate with cinnamon sugar pretzels and a lemonade.

"you think new yorkers are that bad?" she smirked.

without hesitation, i respond. "yes."

"ahh, the infamous boston versus new york fight, huh?"

"new yorkers are rude. and they always look angry." i say. we step up to the counter, the woman behind the register looking exhausted.

"can i help you?" she asked.

i order two cinnamon sugar cups, and two lemonades. i begin to pull out my wallet, noa already pulling up apple pay on her phone.

"matt, it's okay. i can get mine," she says. she acts like she's going to crumble to pieces if i pay for her snack. truthfully, i didn't really want anything at first. i just didn't want her to think i was some cheapskate who can't offer to pay for anything.

i hand the woman some money, covering both of our snacks. "it's fine, don't worry about it."

we grab our bag, heading away from the counter and back out into the parking lot. "have you ever been to new york?" i ask her.

"never. but i've heard a lot about it."

i'd been to new york a couple of times, mostly with chris and nick.  we visited the empire state building once, going all the way up to the top floor and walking around. you could see the entire city and the statue of liberty from the top.

when nick, chris, and i went, we stayed at the new yorker hotel. the rooms were small for three teenage boys, but we had the best time. there's a small diner in the lobby, and they served the best french toast i had ever had.