Chapter 5

It all makes sense now. The strange rules, the contract, the 'therapy', the fact that you must bow down to a sadistic little fucker named Mr. Wheeler, the fact that you can't get ahold of your family unless you earn it.

You must be pretty fucked up to run a place like this. My eyes tear up as I slide down a wall, breaking down.

Why did my parents send me here? Do they even know what's going on?

"Kirk? Are you okay?" I hear someone ask me again. I think it's James.

"What's wrong?" I think it's Jason who says that.

I feel Lars patting me on the shoulder telling me to breath.

I need to leave this place. I need to find some kind of way to escape.

Should I tell the others the truth? No. They'll think I'm crazy! But I have to get them out of here too!

 I can't just leave them. Not like everyone else did to me. I'm breaking down as I hug whoever is closest to me. 

I need to tell all of them the truth. We need to leave. I can't have my friends and my crush just stay here. Even though they're probably brainwashed like hell, I still need to break the news to them.

It'll be hard. But I'll try. I let go from the hug and reassure the others I'm fine 

                              ************************************

Once we got to the kitchen, Lars looked at me longingly.

"Why were you crying?" He asked as he stared up at me. His green eyes shining with concern.

"The therapy." I mumbled.

Lars looks at me but shrugs and turns his attention back to the oven as he puts in a pizza. Seeming to want to drop the matter and just work. 

Don't worry Lars, you'll know the truth of this place soon. 

We finished our work early so we sit around and talk. I then decide to test something. "Do you ever think that..this place is pretty fucked up?" I asked, fiddling with my fingers.

"What do you mean?" Lars asked.

I sigh, trying to the find the words for someone who might be brainwashed. "Like..some of the things here are messed up...like they're wrong. Like...it's a bad thing." I explained as I wondered if this conversation will get anywhere.

"No. It's all normal. We're just one big, happy community." Lars replies. But there's a hint of uncertainty in his voice. 

I look at him and purse my lips. He seems brainwashed, but it's almost like he's questioning if this place is what people make it out to be or if it's actually the fucked up place I know it is.

"Okay." I replied. We sat there in silence for awhile, enjoying each others company. Lars has a hint of blush on his face as I scoot closer. 

Maybe soon we'll be runaways together.

                              ************************************

At dinner, Lars and I got our food and went to our usual table. Maybe I should tell the truth to everyone now.  I hope they will believe me. 

I twist my pasta around, thinking about how I should bring this up. The others are already in their own conversation. Then I decide to go for it.

"Hey guys?" I ask, getting everyone's attention.

"Hm?" Jason hums.

"I don't know how to say this but.." I say, almost in a whisper, uncertainty  evident in my voice.