Chapter 1 - New Beginnings

***Please read the first Dr. Pepper Girl before starting this one if you haven't read it yet. After getting so much support and praise for that fanfic I finally decided to make this sequel. I hope you enjoy reading it just as much as I am writing it.***

We'll it's official. Gareth Emerson and you are dating. He is your boyfriend.

It's funny saying that out loud. The guy created a makeshift dance out of his garage for you. Never in your life you would expect a boy to go out of their way in such a sweet gesture. It still feels like a dream.

Once his parents found out you were dating, they became super nice to you. Even his father who seems indifferent to Gareth in general says hello to you when you come over. You assumed they would be more standoffish but it was the complete opposite.

Gareth's little sister Stephanie is thrilled to see you come around more often now that your dating her big brother. Whenever you stop by she's always finding an excuse for you to go into her bedroom to show off her new Care Bears and Jem dolls to which you gladly make a big fuss with her.

You arrive at his house to go over your Trigonometry homework and overhear Gareth's dad having a conversation with his mom in the kitchen.

"Thank the lord my son finally gets a girlfriend. I thought him playing that fantasy game was an absolute girl deterrent."

You try not to giggle while opening your notebook at the dining room table.

Gareth doesn't find it funny. You can tell because his nose is scrunched up. But he doesn't say anything and starts to go over the equations.

Gareth still tutors you in trigonometry. Although you are starting to grasp it better than before, it's definitely not a subject that your able to easily comprehend.

Since you are officially a couple, his parents told him the both of you have to study in the dining room or living room. And if you hang out in his bedroom, the door has to be open. Gareth was visibly annoyed by this.

Although Gareth is your boyfriend, you both are still busy. You still work at Giovanni's Pizzeria. You study hard to get straight A's and spend time with your friends Ashley and Mary. Gareth is busy with his band and Dungeons and Dragons.

But because of this, your time together is much more precious.

It's late October. The days are getting shorter. The air cooler. Trees changing colors from green to vibrant orange, yellow, and red. The smell of burning leaves waft through the streets.

You miss the warmer weather. Movies at the drive-in. Having conversations at the lake until midnight while music plays softly through the car stereo. The yearning for later summer and early autumn brings an ache to your chest. As things start to heat up, Hawkins Indiana starts to cool down.

It's Monday afternoon and Gareth is driving you home from school. He's holding your left hand while using his to steer the wheel. "She Sells Sanctuary" by The Cult plays from the car stereo. You listen to the lyrics as he rubs his thumb in circles inside your palm.

The sparkle in your eyes
Keeps me alive
And the sparkle in your eyes
Keeps me alive, keeps me alive

"Gareth, you don't have to pick me up from work tonight. Don't get me wrong I appreciate not having to ride my bike home in the dark but you don't have to go out of your way for me."

"I want to y/n. I like spending time with you. Even though it's only for a short drive to your house. It's still the best part of my day."