Clothes (Part 2)

Chapter 3: Clothes Pt. 2

Set: After Library of Souls, in Florida

Genre: Fluff

The next day, Horace managed to convince Jacob to drive them to the shops again. Jacob looked at him pityingly and said in a low voice,

"You know you don't actually have to go with him right? I'm sure someone else can throw themselves on that sword."

Horace pursed his lips.

"No thanks. I'm perfectly happy to go without any stabbing involved," he said adamantly.

The others acted as though Enoch was some kind of mildly annoying burden that had to be tolerated in shifts between them, and always seemed surprised that Horace genuinely wanted to spend time with him. He supposed they assumed he did it out of some kind of pity for Enoch (or perhaps insanity on his own part), something that had always bothered Horace, but it wasn't as though he could ever explain the truth.

Jacob just took in Horace's defiant expression and shrugged.

"Suit yourself," he said, grabbing his keys as Enoch rounded the corner. Enoch looked excited- he grinned at Horace when he saw him and as they walked to the car he was close enough to bump Horace with his shoulder a few times. Enoch seemed to forget about personal space when he was happy- with Horace at least. He gave Jacob a wide berth as they got in the car.

...

"Alright, where to first?" Horace asked as they stood in the huge mall. It once would have intimidated him, but he'd gotten a lot more used to modern culture over the last few months, and thanks to Jacob's normalising lessons, he practically knew this mall like the back of his hand. "Enoch?"

Horace glanced over at him, but doubt had clouded Enoch's face. He was staring at his feet, suddenly looking nervous. Horace reached out to brush Enoch's hand with his fingers- it was the most he dared to do with all these people around, but it was enough to bring Enoch back to reality.

"What? Oh uh... that one," he shrugged, pointing at random to one of the shops. Horace smiled at him as they headed towards it.

"That one it is."

They walked through the store, Enoch looking more confident now.

"Okay so remember- no forcing me to get things, no complaining and definitely no judging," Enoch said, and Horace mimed zipping his lips. Enoch rolled his eyes.

"Come on," he grinned, pulling Horace towards the clothing racks.

Enoch wandered the isles, grabbing armfuls of shirts to try on, and Horace followed him happily, content to be reduced to a human clothing-holder.

"What do you think of this?" Enoch held up a leather jacket.

Horace's reply was muffled by the pile of clothes in his arms, and Enoch grinned sheepishly, taking half from him.

"I'd better try these on, then."

"Will they even let you in with that many?" Horace smirked, and Enoch shrugged.

"If not, I'll just threaten them with this." He held up a scalpel and mimed stabbing it in someone.

"Wh-what! No, Enoch! Where did you even get that from?" Horace spluttered as Enoch grinned, taking the rest of the clothes from him and already heading to the change rooms. "Enoch wait! Please tell me you're not serious!" he called after him.

...

Horace wandered the racks of clothes, waiting for Enoch and keeping an ear out for any screaming normals, but thankfully Enoch decided not to hold up the shopping centre. Horace rolled his eyes, grinning to himself as he trailed his fingers over a few jackets. He made a mental note to avoid any shops selling knives, or they'd never get out of here. Staying silent had been harder than he expected- several times while he was waiting he found clothes that would be perfect for Enoch, and it was all he could do to stop himself from running into the change rooms and insisting he try them on.