twenty-three

Rhaenyra intended to explain to Naerys why she was barring her from following Rhaenys. To put aside their grievances once and for all because they were a family. Naerys was her only daughter. She needed her to be safe.

"I wish to speak to my daughter." The knight nodded his head and moved aside.

She opened the door and before she even said anything, found the mess that was left. The couch that had been moved to the window, the barren bed and wardrobe.

Fear and anger immediately bubbled up inside of her. Rhaenyra ran forward and grabbed at the rope hanging out of the window. She knew then what Naerys had done.

"She's gone," Rhaenyra announced it first, her breathing picking up. The knight spun around and peered into the room. She didn't get past him, how—?"

Rhaenyra marched back over to him. "How did you let this happen?! Your job was to keep her in her room. Did you not hear her doing this?!"

The knight sputtered as the others who'd followed Rhaenyra were unsure what they should be doing.

"No! No, my Queen. I apologize, I hadn't heard anything."

One of the Dragonkeepers Naerys had scared to death and a guard from the watchtower arrived at the same time.

"Your Grace, Princess Naerys has departed the island on Vermithor."

Rhaenyra grit her teeth and closed her eyes. "I have discovered that." She tried to calm herself. She was a Queen. "Call the council back."

***

"The Princess Naerys means to fly to Rook's Rest and assist Princes Rhaenys. I wish for someone to retrieve her, before she gets herself killed." Rhaenyra looked at her council members.

"I'll go. I'll try and catch up with her—" Jace was obviously the first one to volunteer. But he was cut off.

"It wouldn't be wise, Your Grace."

Rhaenyra turned her head to look at the member of the council who opposed her. "And why is that? You insist I leave my only daughter in danger?"

"Forgive me, my Queen. But without Vermithor, we are hardly defended. If you send another dragon rider, we will be even less so. If the Greens plan to attack while we are distracted, say, with Vhagar, we will have no way to answer."

The others around the table seemed to agree. Naerys had acted without authorization, she'd left them undefended. She was acting like Daemon.

They wouldn't risk more resources to try and save her. She chose to go.

"Jacaerys is your heir, my Queen. His life cannot be risked for this task. Yours cannot be put at risk either. That leaves only Lady Baela and Prince Joffrey. Neither have seen battle, Your Grace. We need the dragons here."

Rhaenyra didn't want to hear it from any of them. They would have her leave her daughter to fend for herself?

"I'm afraid they are right, Your Grace. But Naerys is a fighter, a warrior. She is resilient. And my wife will help keep her safe so she may return to you."