thirty-eight

The day of Naerys' wedding should have been extremely happy. And most of it was, when Naerys pushed away the things that weighed on her. Just for that day.

But other things got to her.

Like when she was being dressed by the maids that morning. They all complimented her as each piece of her carefully styled outfit was assembled. Shift, stockings, layers of the dress, pulling of the corset.

When Naerys looked in the mirror, she couldn't help but feel an overwhelming sadness eating at her. That day was one Rhaenyra longed to see, when her daughter would be married.

She should have been in that room, watching as her daughter was dressed for her wedding. Naerys wanted her mother.

Naerys was quiet as her hair was done up in a loose bun behind her head, golden embellishments woven throughout. She imagined what Rhaenyra would be saying to her. Encouragements, jokes about what would await her later.

And then for the first time in a very long time, Naerys longed for her father. Ser Laenor. Daemon acted in place of him for many years but Ser Laenor was the first man she knew as a father. She loved him. And Naerys missed him on her wedding day.

"You look perfect, Princess. The whole kingdom will be wishing they had your hand."

The maids gathered around Naerys to ensure everything looked perfect for her first ceremony of the day. There would be fixing afterward but at the moment, she was ready.

"Thank you." Naerys returned their smiles in the mirror as she looked in the mirror. And for a moment, she imagined the rest of her family. Luke, Jace, Joffrey, Rhaenyra, Viserys.

She didn't care about the other men of the kingdom. She cared about Aemond.

Naerys would finally have him. Officially have him. And that was something she could celebrate.

***

There was more of that sad feeling when Naerys was set to enter the hall with her family. Lord Corlys and Baela. Aegon hadn't even been permitted to watch his sister marry.

When they arrived at the bottom of the stairs, the knights standing guard opened the doors for the Velaryons. Lord Corlys on one side, Naerys in the middle, and Baela on the other.

"House Velaryon."

Together, they walked forward into the throne room.

It had already been set with tables for the feast later in the evening. But a spot right in front of the Iron Throne had been cleared.

That was where Aemond stood with his family. What remained of it. Alicent, Aegon, and Jaehaera.

They were all watching the Velaryons as they approached, their eyes taking in Naerys' dress for the first time. She did look beautifully ethereal.

The smallfolk would be convinced.

Aemond stood ahead of his family, next to the fire and the Septon. He let a smile grace his face when he saw Naerys and she returned it, looking at what he was wearing.

Most of it was black leather, more pristine than what he wore for battle. But there was a cut of fabric across his body. Green.