Chapter 15

It's been three months since my date with Nicholas and the finalization of my divorce. These months have been the happiest I have been since my mother's passing. Nicholas is like no other man that I have ever met. He is patient, kind, sweet, and the perfect gentleman. The way this man makes me feel is indescribable. Nicholas makes me feel safe and at peace when we a together, especially when I am wrapped up in his arms. I never knew someone could or would ever make me feel this way about them. Needless to say, I am falling for this man hard.

I am currently at home cooking dinner and waiting for Nicholas to arrive. It goes like this every night. Either I am at his place, or he is at mine. We usually stay at our own homes during the week, but on the weekends, we are together the whole time. I want this man more than I have ever wanted anyone but for some reason he is holding back. Not that I am complaining, we have make-out sessions and some feel ups, but I want more. Tonight, I am going to try to make that happen. I am so ready to take that next step with Nicholas. I am pulled from my thoughts when I hear the doorbell ring. I know it's not Nicholas because he has a key and lets himself in when he arrives. Plus, it's too early for him to be here. I walk to the door and open it to see a man holding a beautiful bouquet of flowers. He hands them to me; I thank him then close the door walking back to the kitchen. I set the vase of flowers on my island and pull the note from them, knowing they are from Nicholas, and it is going to something sweet written on it. When I open the card, my hands begin to shake, and I can't believe what I am reading. This can't be happening, not now. I bring myself to find my phone and call Nicholas.

"Hey baby."

"Nicholas......" is all I can bring myself to say.

"Baby, what's wrong?" He asks but I can't bring myself to speak. "Mikayla, you have to answer me baby. I need to know that you are alright."

"I need you."

"I'm on my way. Stay on the phone with me. I'll be there in fifteen minutes."

I don't say anything. I just stay sitting on the floor against my island. He continues to talk to me trying to keep me calm and to myself. After what seems like forever, I hear the front door open then arms wrap around me. This is all it takes for the tears to start falling. Nicholas picks me up, walks to the living area then sits on the couch with me in his lap. He runs his hand up and down my back comforting me while I cry, my face buried in his chest. I am finally able to pull myself together after about ten minutes. Pulling back, I can see the worry on Nicholas' face. I cup his face and lean in giving him a small peck.

"Are you alright baby?"

"I am now and I am sorry from pulling you from work."

"Baby, I am not worried about work. You are more important to me than anything else."

"Thank you for coming."

"Always." He pecks my lips again. "You want to tell me what got you so upset?"

I not and hold the card that I have been clutching onto up. He takes the cards from me and reads it. The look on his face says everything without him saying a word. He knows this isn't good, just as I do. I can tell that Nicholas is angry about what he has read written on the card. He asks me what it came with, and I show him the flowers on the island. He takes out his phone calling someone while pacing through my living area. He talks for a few minutes before walking back into kitchen and pulls me into his arms. Around ten minutes later, I hear my front door open and see James and Kate walk into the room.

"Nicholas called us." James says. "What's going on?"

"This." Nicholas says handing the card to James. "It came with these flowers. They were delivered to her about an hour ago."